LEWIN OF GREENWICH, THE BOOK SERIALISED FOR FORUM MEMBERS

Forum Information and Background (Links to books)
timlewin

Re: LEWIN OF GREENWICH, THE BOOK SERIALISED FOR FORUM MEMBERS

Unread post by timlewin »

And here is Chapter 5, Destroyer Command
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

More please , can't get enough of this Tim , and his not even my dad ........wish he had been. :(
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
timlewin

I m posting each chapter week by week, and to the Ganges Association who also seem to be enjoying reliving their own experiences; Ivor, for you and Karen, This last chapter, Corunna, covers the period dear old Ch\alky was learning his trade in HMS Barossa, corunna's sister ship in the 4th destroyer Squadron, they had just dropped the word flotilla in favour of harmonising with the American sqadrons appellation. What you read about Corunna, also applies to Barossa, they all sailed together, Alamein, Agincourt, Corunna and Barossa, I think Agincourt was senior ship, Capt. D. I was 8-9 years old, we visited Corunna on Navy days at chatham. I remember dad's steward was a delightful Maltese chap called Joseph, but then all Med stewards were probably called Joseph, and defo Maltese. We lived in a house called Brewster House, up a track near the village of Doddington, at the end of the track was an old boy, Mr. Mills, and his wife, he had been badly gassed in the First War, used to drink his tea from the saucer, and tell us stories. I found the house up for sale on the internet last year, greatly slicked up but actually little changed, I found all our rooms from the floor plans!

Chapter 6
TTL CH 6 HMYB.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Thanks for the heads up Tim , will pay even closer attention .
timlewin

a few extra pics for you, where TTL is seeing off the visiting head-man at the ladder that is Barossa in the background, probably next for inspection. Chalky would be there polishing something in anticipation. We miss him, he was my number one oppo in all this circus stuff
ivorthediver

Thank you Tim , and especially those kind words .

So Sorry that I never physically met him , only via WNSF , I've meet so many who knew him well and all of whom were complementary , and his Daughter is just like him , just a different gender , loyal , straight talking , always there when you need them and always grateful for kindness shown to them .

He had a great friend in you , and you have my undying respect for the help you gave him when he needed it most .

Warm regards Ivor and Karen .[ she's the one who can't drink much , but it don't stop her trying when in good company ] :roll:

I really must stop posting as I reach another landmark :?
timlewin

I had a problem copying Chap. 6 which covrs the Royal Yacht commission, I will overcome this and insert it asap, meanwhile after the Victory Week hiatus, here is Chapter 7, Whitehall, and Chapter 8, the Dartmouth Squadron.
Enjoy
tim
timlewin

Here TTL goes back to Whitehall as the MoD is formed from the separate Ministries and the state of the Navy looks pretty ropey, there are powerful parallels with today to be seen here, the battle to keep or ditch carriers, the choice of aircraft are strongly echoed in the present QE/PoW position?
The decisions made here, and in the next few years of the 1960s were what created the platform on which the Falklands were won back. The RN is not all a life on the Ocean Blue it seems.
ivorthediver

Hind site is a wonderful gift is it not Tim. ;)

Fascinating reading as always Tim , and a wonderful illustration of how the spiders web of political intrigue and ignorance of a topic manifests in the passage of time ;)

Very grateful to you for these tit bits of information on how the guided misguided our country .
timlewin

And here is Chapter 9, more Whitehall intrigues

Next chapter we are back at sea with Hermes, posted before but in this sequence it fits into the context of his life as it developed...and grows, remember, at this time none of us, especially him, knew the future.

And, I still have that car!
tim
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Posts Dedicated to T.T. Lewin”