Our Local Club Lake

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
ivorthediver

Our Local Club Lake

Unread post by ivorthediver »

This was relinquished when the old forum was closed, so I thought some may wish to air their views on here .

As my friends on the Forum's will remember the Cambridge Model Boat club site is a lake in Histon Cambridge , and followers of the old thread will know that we have been under threat of losing it when the owners decided to lease their asset to a Fishing Group , which undertook to upgrade the lake, to facilitate THEIR needs, and whilst improvements to security hitherto not needed by us , but required by them to protect it from the general public and any aspiring fisherman from unlawfully removing their stock of Carp from the lake .

We lost our previously unlimited use of the lake to a specified 2 hour slot each week , and we have had to put up with self acclaimed owners who felt that their needs were grater than ours [ even thou if broken down to an hourly rate of use our club paid a much higher price for our usage of the lake than theirs , :( ] however we have recently been offered another venue [which has no fishing rights ] but further from some of the membership than others whilst still in the county .

The new site [ which I have yet to visit ] offers the promise of far better facilities , a club house with toilets and a kitchen presently used by a model sailing club which also accommodates dingy's but has numerous lakes associated with it .

Not sure if its a collection of quarries but claims to have many separate lakes to use , so must get my butt over their and check it out ......and from the few pictures I have seen shows promise , and will cost the club less to use , so reservations [ sorry for pun ] but may be the answer to the clubs problems .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
DaveH

Re: Our Local Club Lake

Unread post by DaveH »

Good luck to the club in this venture Ivor ....... hopefully you will succeed.
ivorthediver

Thanks Dave , I will keep you posted when I have more facts to display .

How about you , or is your model making also on the back burner due to more pressing demands ?

Please pass on our love to Betty
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

I hope the proposed new venue proves to be a great asset for all of the members of your club Ivor and isn't too far for them all to travel.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Thanks Jim , I have been given the post code and its at the northern end of the county at Paxton and as you imply it is 28 miles from my home as against 9 at present , but will wait till I have viewed it before making further comment , as I am but one member and it is they who will have to vote yay or nay to the move .

I fear it may split the club as sailing models are gaining favour and I think it may be a learning cure for those modellers who jealously guard the "Motor give way to sail" maxim which is fine , but when a couple of hundred weight of sailing vessel meets a kilo of model sailing boat it should prove interesting if not dramatic :(
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

ivorthediver wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:04 pm Thanks Jim , I have been given the post code and its at the northern end of the county at Paxton .........

Screenshot (rotate left 90 degrees for N/S orientation)
Screenshot (4202).png

That's one hell of a lot of water Ivor!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Little h wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:36 pm
ivorthediver wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:04 pm Thanks Jim , I have been given the post code and its at the northern end of the county at Paxton .........

Screenshot (4202).png

Sure is, nearly enough lakes for one each ;-)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Screenshot (4202).png

Sure is Harry but as I said earlier already well used , and without sounding precious about it I may be looking for a quieter bit of these redundant quarries which are dotted all around this neck of the woods what with Peterborough the London Brick Company and many others [ I used to instruct trainee Divers in one not to far north of here which was 30+ metres deep ] but as you would expect Modelers are well down the pecking list . :(
ivorthediver

jbryce1437 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:22 pm

Screenshot (4202).png

Sure is, nearly enough lakes for one each ;-)

Jim
well if I try hard enough I might be lucky eh . ;)
ivorthediver

Here is an insight into the monsters which lurk in our local club lake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”