Forthcoming Events

Navy related media items
ivorthediver

Re: Forthcoming Events

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thanks David would love to see that , so please remind me again :)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

OMG! WW1 ADMIRAL FACES BIG-SCREEN TREATMENT

A World War 1 admiral is the unlikely subject for a big-screen biopic by a British filmmaker.
Sea Lord intends to tell the story of Admiral Sir John ‘Jacky’ Fisher who was architect – and leader, briefly – of the Royal Navy in World War 1.
A decade before the Great War, Fisher revolutionised the Senior Service as its First Sea Lord, focusing on technology and modernisation, axing aged vessels, and above all for his advocacy of all-big-gun battleships, beginning with HMS Dreadnought… which rendered every other warship afloat obsolete upon her launch in 1906.
Continues at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... -treatment
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

VETERANS JOIN ROYAL NAVY NURSE TO LAUNCH THIS YEAR’S POPPY APPEAL

A ROYAL Navy nurse and two veterans feature in the launch of this year’s Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal.
A series of photographic portraits reflecting the impact of COVID-19 on the Armed Forces community and the Poppy Appeal take centre stage.
Continues at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... ppy-launch

Also:
https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-in ... ppy-appeal
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Well it could become a 'Forthcoming Event' ? :roll:

The Pratas Islands: A New Flashpoint in the South China Sea
These unremarkable features could be the center of the next Taiwan Strait Crisis

As China’s military intimidation of Taiwan intensifies, experts are increasingly warning of a possible Chinese attack and the potential danger in the Taiwan Strait. Considering the language Chinese media use regarding measures to “punish Taiwan,” there is now an urgent need to consider China’s possible engagement in some sort of military action against Taiwan.

At present, it is improbable that the PLA would attempt to actually land troops and occupy the island of Taiwan, because the probability of a successful military operation with minimum casualties for China is low. However, China has other options, one of which would be to apply pressure on or capture the Pratas Islands.

The Pratas Islands are located in the northern part of the South China Sea under the jurisdiction of the Republic of China (Taiwan), closer to China’s mainland coast than to the island of Taiwan. Historically, the Pratas Islands have attracted little attention, but as the importance of the South China Sea has increased, so too has the strategic relevance of the Pratas Islands. If China controlled the Pratas Islands, the islands could function as a gatekeeper to monitor U.S. and other countries’ ships and aircraft entering the South China Sea from the Pacific Ocean.

Pratas Island (the other “islands” in the group are essentially rocks) has an airport, but no permanent inhabitants, only a number of civil officials of the Taiwanese Coast Guard and researchers. It is believed that around 500 soldiers of the ROC Marine Corps are also now stationed there. However, because the island is so small and flat, it is almost impossible to defend.

Continues at:
https://thediplomat.com/2020/12/the-pra ... gZy4tAaJuE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

GIBRALTAR TO HONOUR WW2 NAVAL HERO
02 February 2021
The people of Gibraltar are to honour a wartime naval leader who defied orders to save thousands of the Rock’s inhabitants.

Commodore Kenelm Creighton brought more than 13,000 civilians back to Britain’s Mediterranean fortress in July 1940 – when they were stranded in a hostile land, their fate was uncertain and the Admiralty forbade their evacuation.

The veteran officer ignored instructions from London and Gibraltar, loaded the evacuees aboard the convoy he commanded – and ferried them home.

Eight decades later, the Government of Gibraltar has deemed his actions worthy of posthumous recognition with the Gibraltar Medallion of Honour, to be presented to his descendants.

Continues at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... o-honoured
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Better late than never eh David , our Government only moves quickly when collecting taxes , rarely at any other time :roll:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:40 pm Better late than never eh David , our Government only moves quickly when collecting taxes , rarely at any other time :roll:
Unless there is something in it for them or they have no option. e.g. Sir Capt. Tom.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

CENSUS 2021

CENSUS 2021

You will no doubt be aware that this year’s CENSUS takes place on 21 March and, that it’s the first Census to include a question about veteran status. This development has taken years of campaigning for - primarily by the British Legion - and is a welcome move forward in helping us to understand where the veteran community is and therefore how to improve services to them.

Generic Census publications are due to hit doorsteps in the first week of March, but it would be good to draw some attention to the veteran question before this, to raise awareness and encourage participation.

Please see the attached veteran-focused marketing products, which have been designed by the Census team in conjunction with military veterans. I would be grateful if you can share these resources with your Communications teams and incorporate them into your local authorities Census campaigns. For those stand-alone organisations, please share widely with your networks as best you can. Whilst this will primarily be on social media, the resources can be printed where appropriate.

Finally, please note the attached power point presentation* which will help to set the scene and also contains the contact details for KerryAnne Wilde, the veteran lead within the Census team.

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Ian
Ian Barber MSc
Project Lead - Lancashire Armed Forces Covenant Hub
Co-located with - College for Military Veterans & Emergency Services (CMVES)
Rm 003 | Ground Floor | Kirkham Building | Bhailok Street | Preston | PR1 7AD.
01772 381376
07976 941410 Please note new mobile number.
ibarber@uclan.ac.uk
www.lancashire.gov.uk/armed-forces

* Power Point Presentation attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Forthcoming Films, TV Shows, Exhibitions and Events”