Ottoman Navy

Add your posts about Other Navies, not already listed, here
Brian James

Ottoman Navy

Unread post by Brian James »

Ottoman Navy Ironclad Battleship Asar-i Tevfik pictured at Keil....She was built at Société Nouvelle des Forges et Chantiers de la Méditerranée Shipyards at La Seyne-sur-Mer, near Toulon in 1868 and commissioned in 1870,the only member of her Class. She was built as part of a major expansion program for the Ottoman Fleet in the 1860s following the Crimean War. Asar-i Tevfik was a 4,600-metric-ton (4,500-long-ton; 5,100-short-ton) Barbette Ship armed with a main battery of eight 8.7 inch guns in a central battery. In 1903–1906,she was extensively rebuilt in Germany and a new battery of 5.9 inch and 4.7 inch quick-firing guns replaced the older weapons.
Asar-i Tevfik served in the Ottoman fleet for more than four decades. During this period, she saw action in two major wars, the Russo-Turkish War of 1877–1878 and the First Balkan War in 1913. During the first conflict, she was torpedoed by a Russian Torpedo Boat but was only slightly damaged. She took part in the abortive Battle of Elli against the Greek Navy in December 1912 during the First Balkan War. While operating against Bulgarian positions in February 1913, she ran aground; Bulgarian field artillery then shelled the ship. The damage they inflicted, coupled with heavy seas, destroyed the ship.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Re: Ottoman Navy

Constantinople pictured c1899.....The core of the Ottoman Navy is on display. The fleet numbers 20 large Armoured warships; most are outdated Ironclads built in the 1860s-70s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Re: Ottoman Navy

Ottoman Navy Armoured Cruiser Hamidiye..She saw extensive action during the Balkan Wars and World War I. Initially named Abdül Hamid, she was ordered by the Ottoman Navy in 1900 from Armstrong Whitworth Co shipyards. She was laid down at Elswick, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, in April 1902; launched on September 25th 1903; her sea trials began on December 17th 1903; and she was commissioned in April 1904. Her name was changed to Hamidiye after the 1908 Young Turk Revolution. Under the terms of the Treaty of Sèvres, which ended the First World War between the Allies and the Ottoman Empire, the ship was to be handed over to the United Kingdom as war compensation. However, the ensuing Turkish War of Independence culminated in the abrogation of the Treaty of Sèvres; it was replaced by the Treaty of Lausanne, which permitted the new Turkish republic to retain its fleet, including Hamidiye, which became a Training Ship. Decommissioned in 1947 she was sold for scrap on September 10th 1964.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Navies”