Cruisers: Des Moines Class

Add your posts about the US Navy in this section
designeraccd

Cruisers: Des Moines Class

Unread post by designeraccd »

The largest gun cruisers ever finished, these carried the newly developed automatic 8" in triple turrets. They were longer than many battleships and heavier than some! While they never really got to "prove" their worth in combat, they were a powerful presence.

"These were the first USN 8" (20.3 cm) guns to use separate rather than bag ammunition. With automatic shell handling and loading, a fire rate three times greater than that of previous 8" (20.3 cm) guns and coupled together with the use of "super-heavy" AP projectiles, these weapons made the Des Moines (CA-134) class the most powerful heavy cruisers ever built. One of the few large-caliber automatic gun designs that proved reliable in actual service use, these weapons were still giving good performance during the Vietnam War, some twenty-five years after they first entered service. Unfortunately, all this performance came at a steep price in weight, with the turrets mountings for these guns weighing 50% more than those in the previous Baltimore class."

They could range out to:
".41.0 degrees 30,050 yards (27,480 m) 1,296 fps (395 mps) 54.7"

My parents and I toured the DES MOINES in @ Nov, 1956 in lovely Hoboken, New Jersey....if you have been there...

At any rate the big 8" and even the twin 5" 38s made a lasting impression (JOIN the USMC!) while on deck and then inside the ship. :D She was impressive looking to a 5th grader. We went by a galley and I must admit, it did smell GOOD! I later learned while TAD to NWC China Lake, how good Navy chow could be compared to out generally mediocore MARINE CORPS chow.... ;) However, the DES MOINES was, IIRC, very squared away and impressive looking with all her weapons, radars, single BIG funnel etc. Now long gone, but we have the transformational po$ LC$ to guard our shores....... :roll: DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbryce1437

Re: Cruisers: Des Moines Class

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

They were a fine looking class of ship. The only one that I can recall was Newport News during her Vietnam bombardments.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
designeraccd

These BIG 21,500 T (fl) 717' x 75.5' cruisers were credited with a 8" belt and 5" armored deck. Better than many early dreadnoughts! Two were built in Quincy, Mass. by Bethlehem Steel, while the NEWPORT NEWS was built by NNSB & DD Co.

Definitely powerful cruisers during the gun age. ;) DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Great looking ships ..... and they do look like could deliver the goods on any day . Don't build them like that anymore .
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Des Moines Class Heavy Cruiser USS Salem....Toulon,June 18th 1951.
Brian James

Re: Heavy Cruisers: Des Moines Class

Des Moines Class Heavy Cruiser USS Newport News seen en route to Athens,with USS Midway following astern,March 3rd 1950.
    Brian James

Des Moines Class Heavy Cruiser USS Newport News c1966.
    designeraccd

I well remember the cold November day in 1956, IIRC, when we toured DES MOINES in glorious Hoboken, NJ. She made quite a impression on little me back then: those BIG 8" rifles looked very, VERY potent. Not something I wanted to be on the wrong end of!!!! :o Of course, the USN has long since shed any real pretense of NGFS for we lowly MARINES; after all what can a 5" round really do to fortifications? DFO
    Brian James

Des Moines Class Heavy Cruiser USS Newport News pictured c1968.
    Brian James

Des Moines Class Heavy Cruiser USS Newport News.
    Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “United States Navy”