RN Aircraft Carriers: Queen Elizabeth Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: Royal Navy Aircraft Carriers: Queen Elizabeth Class

Unread post by Pelican »

Q.E.s Departure yesterday - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1otHFz3zLc - size does matter.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

For info: "The present forecast for first F35B landing on the QE's flight deck is believed to be 22 Sept 18. Subject of course to all the usual factors such as serviceability and weather/sea state. This will take place somewhere off the USA coast not too far from USNAB Patuxent River, Virginia (The USN's primary aircraft test and evaluation base where the USMC and Lockheed Martin Integrated Test Force (ITF) F35Bs are based). Over 700 take offs and landings are planned during the 2 three week test periods (DT-1 & DT-2) exploring a variety of aircraft loading and weather/sea states to underpin the first maritime related UK Military Aircraft Release to Service for clearance of standard squadron pilots to start to fly off the QE class sometime in 2019.
The QE's initial arrival port of call in about 10 days time is USNB Mayport, Florida for a few days before She ventures into Caribbean waters for her hot weather and warm water sea trials for about a week. She is carrying 800 tonnes of contingency relief aid to assist in the region should there be a Hurricane disaster during her overall 3+ month deployment period, as sadly was needed last year."
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

INSTAGRAM FROM CHRIS TERRIL ABOARD THE QE
Chris of course is aboard to film the second mini series on the QE’s activities for the BBC following the 3 programmes of Series One broadcast last March.
The next series will include film of the first F35B trials aboard the QE and such as the visit to New York.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmrAIaklJvB ... 0imstbs7fd
See also A to Q 'What is the Role of the Strike Warfare Commander?" - https://twitter.com/HMNBPortsmouth/stat ... 5627583488
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Q.E. The Queens Head is opened by Capt. Kyd - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxF_lVzGW6w
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

A YEAR OLD BUT WORTH A READ

AUGUST 23, 2017
HMS Queen Elizabeth – are aircraft carriers too expensive?

The arrival of HMS Queen Elizabeth in Portsmouth was a day for celebration and pride. Beyond the flag waving and excitement, there are many critical voices who question the whole carrier project. Here we address some of the issues about the financial impact of restoring the Royal Navy’s aircraft carrier capability.

There are some serious defence journalists such as Deborah Haynes at the Times and Jonathan Beale of the BBC who are broadly supportive of the navy but, as is rightly their job, are asking hard questions about the future and the funding shortfalls in the equipment plan. HMS Queen Elizabeth is arriving in the fleet just as the MoD lurches into yet another major funding crisis. The Commons Public Accounts Committee has identified a £10Bn shortfall in funding for the equipment plan on top of £10Bn of cuts and economies the MoD is already attempting to find. Analysts at PwC estimate the total “black hole” could even be as much as £30Bn over the next decade. To compound the financial problems, the post-Brexit devaluation of the Sterling potentially adds 30% to the cost of purchase of major items such as F-35 Lightning and P-8 Poseidon aircraft from the US. Inevitably in this climate, big ticket items such as aircraft carriers come in for greater scrutiny and unfair criticism.

Continues - https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/hms-qu ... expensive/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

From Save the Navy:
"Disappointing - Royal Navy personnel numbers going the wrong way again.
Latest MoD statistics show RN 1,330 people short of supposed establishment of 30,480 (-4.4%)
To add to pressure, both QEC carriers found to need core ships company of 800+ when original plan was 679"
Does anyone know why an extra 121 bods are needed? Maybe not a large number in itself but say 1/6th increase in crew numbers.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

VIDEO & ARTICLE
You may wish to view this video from Forces TV covering the preperations onboard Q.E. prior to her recent departure for Westlant18.
Note she is not currently expected to reach FOC until 2023 not 2021 as stated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ger4BhFv4Uk
And read an article giving facts, figures, background, history, purpose etc.:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/id ... t_carriers
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Folding Comms Mast (reconfigured)

Looks like one of the masthead obstruction lights has been replaced by an anemometer (indicated by arrow inside a red circle) that is now mounted on a panelled base(identified inside a blue hex outline).
DlgpSYmX4AAxvuP.jpg
Source; here

Love the comment that reads "All that mast-climbing naval training wasted..."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:28 pm Folding Comms Mast (reconfigured)

Looks like one of the masthead obstruction lights has been replaced by an anemometer (indicated by arrow inside a red circle) that is now mounted on a panelled base(identified inside a blue hex outline).

DlgpSYmX4AAxvuP.jpg

Source; here

Love the comment that reads "All that mast-climbing naval training wasted..."
Well spotted Harry, pretty good retro planning. Big change from the days when carriers looked like mini oil fields.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”