Equipment Identification Needed

Post here about equipment carried on ships
Little h

Re: Equipment Identification Needed

Unread post by Little h »

HMS Aurora (F10) Ikara & Towed Array conversion

Was the feature (highlighted in red) mounted on the bridge roof - associated with Ikara?
z HMS Aurora MOD 45140164 (2).jpg

Not observed this feature in any other images of similarly converted Leanders.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Harry whip aerials still seem current, see attached of Shandong, I've seen photos of her with them in the horizontal but why so many?
Our carriers don't seem to have so many or do they?
Are wire aerials redundant?
Also this video may be of interest if you did'nt see it on the 'General Naval Topics' thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzAHHUk ... c2FQf7rmdY
What do you make of the various flag hoists? PoW appears to have her pennant number hoisted, altho I may be wrong but QE does not?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

Pelican wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:45 pm Harry whip aerials still seem current, see attached of Shandong, I've seen photos of her with them in the horizontal but why so many?
Happy New Year David
I've never read any literature about their utilisation of the many tilting whip aerials on the Shandong (and/or sister), so can't really offer a verifiable answer.

Pelican wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:45 pm Our carriers don't seem to have so many or do they?
a) Please see the following excerpt regarding the external fleetwide HF comms for QEC carriers, dated 2009

Thales Wins Carrier Communications Contract
25 Mar 2009
News posted by Anonymous

Thales UK has signed a £25m sub-contract to deliver a high-tech communication system for the Royal Navy's two new Queen Elizabeth-class aircraft carriers.

This contract win, which secures up to 50 local jobs at Thales's Crawley site, covers onboard and fleetwide communications, and is an important milestone in the develop ment programme for these ships, which will be named HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales.

The onboard (internal to the ship) system - known as the Tactical, Command and Con trol Voice System (TC2V) - is critical to the everyday operation of a vessel this size. It ensures that the crew has access to onboard information and are in communication with their colleagues across the ship at all times. The system will use Internet Protocol (IP) networks to transmit data and voice, in the same way as modern businesses and offices communicate.

The fleetwide (external to the ship) element includes a high-frequency (HF) system to provide long-range communications between the ship and other vessels/land bases. All ships today, while having modern satellite and microwave communication systems, still rely on reliable and inexpensive HF methods to provide long-range communica tions. Thales provides a high-performance and flexible solution to this with its Series 8000 HF system.

Alex Cresswell, Managing Director of Thales UK's land & joint systems business, says: 'On such a large strategic vessel the Thales communication system forms the central ner vous system of the ship. This high-tech programme will be delivered from Thales UK's Crawley facility, where generations of communication equipment has been designed, manufactured and integrated into ships spanning more than half a century of Naval history.'

Source; Qimtek

and:-
b) you may recall my many posts included on this and the old forum regarding the installations of Near Vertical Incidence Skywave (NVIS) Loop HF antenna arrays

Pelican wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:45 pm
Are wire aerials redundant?
Not entirely ... they are very evident on the T23's & LPD's Albion & Bulwark
Pelican wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:45 pm
Also this video may be of interest if you did'nt see it on the 'General Naval Topics' thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzAHHUk ... c2FQf7rmdY
What do you make of the various flag hoists? PoW appears to have her pennant number hoisted, altho I may be wrong but QE does not?
This one much more difficult for me and I would have to delve into the appropriate ATP (or similar) to hatch up some answers - (although I bent on hundreds of flag hoists on 2 x Battle Class destroyers, the signal composition was done by the buntings that I was assisting).
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

VMT Harry and a prosperous peaceful New Year to you and yours.

P.S.
Further to the flag hoists in the video:
What you saw was the same hoist as on the Type 23 frigate "Code Romeo Yankee" "please go slowly past my little ship, as if big ones go by, at speed, it makes the ship rock a little bit, when we are playing pool."
And "Pass by me slowly - cause no wake."
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

Pelican wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:23 pm VMT Harry and a prosperous peaceful New Year to you and yours.

P.S.
Further to the flag hoists in the video:
What you saw was the same hoist as on the Type 23 frigate "Code Romeo Yankee" "please go slowly past my little ship, as if big ones go by, at speed, it makes the ship rock a little bit, when we are playing pool."
And "Pass by me slowly - cause no wake."
Ah well I got 'Code Romeo Yankee' (with x-ref with/to manual - not memory :oops: ) but not the signal intention - refuse backward biffers on all buntins stuff without a current Allied Tactical Publication ;)
Little h
Little h

Code Romeo Yankee accompanied by starboard pennant (not defaced with a glass) flying from a halyard on port yardarm

.... and 'twas all the time on Twitter, they didn't want any pink gin spillage in wardroom; see:-

HMS Echo
https://twitter.com/HMS_Echo/status/1184812542998261760

Even in the technology age simple methods of communication are sometimes still the best. Flags provide a visual indication of significant information for all to see... so what are we telling people on this sunny October day?
EHFMrtaX4AEqbTG.jpg large.jpg

5:44 am - 17 Oct 2019
Little h
Little h

Little h wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:51 pm Identification of these three appendages would be much appreciated

, HMS Implacable at Pearl Harbor Ex POW's Oct 5th 1945 - Copy.jpg

(image resized - down)
Seems the same (or similar) installation was to be found on at least the following two carriers:-

a) HMS Pursuer (D73)
HMS Pursuer (D73) IWM 0301711 - 4 Aug1944 IWM via Navsource.jpg

b) HMS Tracker (D24)
030100618t Navsource from 100 Years of British Naval Aviation, by Christopher Shores..jpg

(looks like interesting deck edge aircraft parking arrangements)
Little h
Little h

Arising from a post in Re; RN Cruisers: County Class 1928

Post by Brian James » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:00 am
Officers enjoy a game of deck hockey aboard County Class Heavy Cruiser HMS Kent c1940.

zzzkent (3).jpg

Feature at 1; any idea of the function of the feature attached to the top of the tripod

and

Feature at 2; what might the pintle atop 'Z' gun turret be for? a theodolite perhaps
- much like the infamous 'gizmo' of WNSF fame ;)
Little h
Culverin

Unread post by Culverin »

Hello Harry,

i am not convinced the 2 fittings to the Kent as per your previous post are hugely significant frankly.

Whatever the pair are remained in situ for the remainder of her service but i have not seen the fitting atop Y, not Z, turret on any other County and cannot establish if they were added during her reconstruction when she was the only 1 of the 5 not to be given the large hangar.

There is also a question re the raised sight or whatever on the port side of both X and Y turrets.

The image is 1 in a series showing deck hockey being played / posed on her quarterdeck apparently in 1940 / 41.
Little h

Hi Sean,

That made me laugh ... my inclusion of the Z turret ... should be embarrased :oops: but somehow just put it down to yet another case of 'my bad' ;) so will append a post-it sticker that reads 'must do better' within my direct field of vision and hope for an immediate improvement.

I did notice the periscope like viewfinders but since not too aquainted with the class of cruiser, took it that they may be regular fixtures. However just had a browse through the thread on the County Class again and not seen any on the attachments there-in; but note that there is a similar fitting on HMS Devonshire on the roof of 'B' gun turret, see:-
zzcounty (3).jpg
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ships/Boats Equipment”