Equipment Identification Needed

Post here about equipment carried on ships
Pelican

Equipment Identification Needed

Unread post by Pelican »

Can anyone identify the item beneath Montrose's Lynx whilst she was in Auckland recently?
Possibly a remotely controlled trolley for moving the Lynx about?
If not what is it?
TU.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

Re: Equipment Identification Needed

Unread post by Little h »

Pelican wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:18 pm Can anyone identify the item beneath Montrose's Lynx whilst she was in Auckland recently?
If not what is it?
TU.
That is precisely what it is David ... the Mantis

Included below the example onboard HMS Lancaster when she was open to visitors in Liverpool 28th Feb 2015
3 DSCF4615.JPG

See also the video in this link titled; Rough Landings in High Seas - By Think Defence - On Sep 15, 2014 plus these images:-
Lynx-and-Type-45-Destroyer-MANTIS-handler.jpg
MANTIS-handler-1-740x491.jpg
MANTIS-handler-3-740x553.jpg
MANTIS-handler-2-740x553.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:19 pm
Pelican wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:18 pm Can anyone identify the item beneath Montrose's Lynx whilst she was in Auckland recently?
If not what is it?
TU.
That is precisely what it is David ... the Mantis

Included below the example onboard HMS Lancaster when she was open to visitors in Liverpool 28th Feb 2015

3 DSCF4615.JPG

See also the video in this link titled; Rough Landings in High Seas - By Think Defence - On Sep 15, 2014 plus these images:-
Lynx-and-Type-45-Destroyer-MANTIS-handler.jpgMANTIS-handler-1-740x491.jpgMANTIS-handler-3-740x553.jpgMANTIS-handler-2-740x553.jpg
TU again Harry
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

Identification of these three appendages would be much appreciated
, HMS Implacable at Pearl Harbor Ex POW's Oct 5th 1945 - Copy.jpg
(image resized - down)
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:51 pm Identification of these three appendages would be much appreciated

(image resized - down)
Harry, elsewhere I requested info from Harry Anderson, a Ganges Boy who served in Indom. during the time in question. A number of ill informed responses appeared to which I responded as follows:
"Perhaps some should pipe down and respect their heritage not least Ganges Boys who served in WW II including the FES. I'm content to await Harry's response."
Harry A. has now responded with:
"Harry Anderson They are SECURITY LIGHTS and should not be showing ."
Separately I came across:
"The ship had been to Borneo to collect released British prisoners of war."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2people ... 7900.shtml
Little h

Pelican wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:16 pm
Little h wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:51 pm Identification of these three appendages would be much appreciated

(image resized - down)
Harry, elsewhere I requested info from Harry Anderson, a Ganges Boy who served in Indom. during the time in question. A number of ill informed responses appeared to which I responded as follows:
"Perhaps some should pipe down and respect their heritage not least Ganges Boys who served in WW II including the FES. I'm content to await Harry's response."
Thanks for your pursuit of my query David.

Security lights for what purpose I'm bound to ask?

Also if you hold your cursor oveer the attachment I included in the post you can read the following caption HMS Implacable at Pearl Harbor Ex POW's Oct 5th 1945 ;)
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:24 pm
Pelican wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:16 pm

(image resized - down)
Thanks for your pursuit of my query David.

Security lights for what purpose I'm bound to ask?

Also if you hold your cursor oveer the attachment I included in the post you can read the following caption HMS Implacable at Pearl Harbor Ex POW's Oct 5th 1945 ;)
Many such questions went thru my remaining grey stuff Harry but your namesake is well past nine o having seen much he would rather not whilst in Indefat. so I don't wish to ask him further questions. I'm sure you understand.
Little h

Pelican wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:01 pm
Many such questions went thru my remaining grey stuff Harry but your namesake is well past nine o having seen much he would rather not whilst in Indefat. so I don't wish to ask him further questions. I'm sure you understand.
No probs David - I do understand - the answers may well be revealed in the fullness of time.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:26 pm
Pelican wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:01 pm
No probs David - I do understand - the answers may well be revealed in the fullness of time.
Following from Tim Lewin:
" I was pretty sure she was homeward bound from PoW collection, the FEF carriers did sterling work in this, the planes were all landed and the hangers fitted with towers of bunks as dormitories. There is a highly detailed account of all of them (carriers) in David Hobbes book on the Pacific Fleet, all the journeys, from where to where and when etc. "
Little h

Two photographs from a series of images posted by Tim on the 'RN Destroyers: Battle Class - Early Designs & Subsequent Conversions' thread in the Royal Navy forum.

Feature in question was mounted on the mizzen (tripod or paired pole mast) of St James (D65); are those indicated in red in the attached images ... quite unlike anything I have observed on a Battle Class destroyer :oops: - any ideas?

Comparison is available in the 2nd attachment (St James & Gabbard).

You may also like to open the image (HMS St James, June 1953) in the worldnavalships.com site and zoom on the feature that appears to be an 'antenna/aerial' surmounting the mizzen just fwd on the STAAG deck above the aft housing.
St. James receiving torpedoes from Bulawayo.jpg
St. James & Gabbard.jpg
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ships/Boats Equipment”