Equipment Identification Needed

Post here about equipment carried on ships
Little h

Re: Equipment Identification Needed

Unread post by Little h »

These periscope like viewfinders are very clearly evident atop 'A' & 'B' gun turrets in the banner photograph in this link to:-

NAVAL ENCYCLOPEDIA the first online warship museum
Posted on 4 March 2018 by dreadnaughtz666
County class cruisers
Little h
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Great website Harry thanks for sharing it with us all , we now have a bolt hole to fish for information in , your a Gent .....well done :D
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

Any ideas as to what type of anchor these were lads :?:

I included my walking stick alongside to give a sense of scale Harry ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h

ivorthediver wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:35 am Any ideas as to what type of anchor these were lads :?:

I included my walking stick alongside to give a sense of scale Harry ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor
Anchor_types.jpg

see also;

anchoring.com selection
Screenshot (6700).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
ivorthediver

As always Thanks for that Harry and it identifies two ....but not the one with my stick against it....... which is unlike any shown in the picture ;) :?:

On this one the stock is larger than the fluke and considerably heavier
Little h

ivorthediver wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:05 pm As always Thanks for that Harry and it identifies two ....but not the one with my stick against it....... which is unlike any shown in the picture ;) :?:

Well I'm more than a few cables out of my depth here Ivor, however .... although not the same as your example, these two anchors on the Russian cruiser Aurora (derived from an image in Commons Wiki), do have a somewhat similar structure:-
Cruiser_Aurora (2).jpg
Little h
ivorthediver

Little h wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:44 pm
ivorthediver wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:05 pm As always Thanks for that Harry and it identifies two ....but not the one with my stick against it....... which is unlike any shown in the picture ;) :?:

Well I'm more than a few cables out of my depth here Ivor, however .... although not the same as your example, these two anchors on the Russian cruiser Aurora (derived from an image in Commons Wiki), do have a somewhat similar structure:-

Cruiser_Aurora (2).jpg
It was suggested to me that they it may have been a pattern used on the Titanic [ but I got the impression that this was wishful thinking to obtain a greater interest in the surrounding people , and although these were made in the Black Country on a regular basis[ anchors that is ] I find it a little far fetched when they could have been more easily made in Belfast as this style and weight imply it was for ax large vessel ......well to me anyway :roll: ........but what do I know :oops:
ivorthediver

As a point of interest Harry baring in mind the weight of some of these Anchors and the cable [chains] employed what kind of load are these anchor winches capable of lifting , and the release factor required to lift it out of the sea bed .....mind boggling
Little h

ivorthediver wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:16 am As a point of interest Harry baring in mind the weight of some of these Anchors and the cable [chains] employed what kind of load are these anchor winches capable of lifting , and the release factor required to lift it out of the sea bed .....mind boggling
Interesting indeed; Anchor + total anchor chain = 'anchor rode' ... so I assume add weight of anchor to total weight of chain and use some calculation (as yet not found) to establish the working pull and maximum pull for the capstan or windlass.

Meanwhile you could start here

Can't find it in the Type 45 workshop manual :oops:

I'll have to get seamanship manuals out.
Little h
ivorthediver

Ok Harry I had a look in my copies of M of S vol 1 and 2 and 3 [1951] but no reference to the formula or rating tables was found by me , so is this the kind of thing Keith might know :idea:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ships/Boats Equipment”