F35B Airwing

Add your posts about the Naval Aircraft in this section
Pelican

Re: F35B Airwing

Unread post by Pelican »

The UK has confirmed that it will purchase a second tranche of F-35B jets in addition to the 48 already planned.

The UK currently has 21 of the jets with 48 orders being confirmed.

John Healey, MP for Wentworth and Dearne Commons, asked via a written Parliamtary question:

“To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, when his Department plans to decide on the number of Lightning II F-35 aircraft to order in addition to those aircraft already ordered.”

Jeremy Quin, Minister of State at the Ministry of Defence, replied:

“Following the outcome of the Integrated Review and confirmation that the UK Lightning Force will grow beyond 48 F-35B aircraft, we are undertaking a period of further analysis to evaluate the scale and optimum delivery profile of our second tranche of F-35Bs as well as associated infrastructure and support equipment. Once complete, this activity will inform procurement timelines.”
Continues at:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-conf ... IPXR3alP_M
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

F-35: The Most Advanced Fighter on Earth (And the Price Keeps Dropping)

The long-term figures are unambiguous: Lockheed Martin has consistently driven down the F-35A’s flyaway cost between serial production batches.

As the US Air Force (USAF) charts acquisition plans into the coming decades, an unmistakable trend emerges for the country’s most advanced fighter jet: the state-of-the-art F-35 program has made major strides in reducing costs over the past decade, and there are even more encouraging signs on the horizon.

Continues at:
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/ ... ing-187827
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

How many UK weapons will be integrated onto the F-35?
British F-35B jets will soon be fitted with Meteor air to air missiles and the SPEAR Capability 3 precision surface attack missile.
The information came to light after a written question was submitted in Parliament.

John Healey, Shadow Secretary of State for Defence, asked via a written Parliamentary question:

“To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, with reference to page 56 of the Defence in a competitive age Command Paper, CP411, how many more UK weapons will be integrated onto the Lightning II aircraft; and which regions in the UK will benefit from that decision.”

Jeremy Quin, Minister of State for the Ministry of Defence, replied:

“Alongside modifications to the fielded UK Paveway IV precision surface attack weapon, the current Programme of Record will deliver two new UK Weapons onto UK Lightning aircraft. These are the MBDA Meteor Beyond Visual Range Air to Air missile and the SPEAR Capability 3 precision surface attack missile. MBDA state that the Integration of these weapons will benefit their sites in Bolton, Bristol and Stevenage.

Future UK weapons, such as SPEAR Capability 5, will be considered for integration as part of the spiral development of UK Lightning to meet future threats, exploit multi-domain integration and expand utility.”

Source UKDJ
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Not so far from the truth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well David , now we know why they don their bone dome before strapping in :lol:

Where is the QE at present ?
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:50 pm Well David , now we know why they don their bone dome before strapping in :lol:

Where is the QE at present ?
I'm not trying to track her Ivor but would guess somewhere between Cyprus, Turkey and N.African coast.
If the 35Bs are going for target practice against ISIS etc. although not necessary it would be handy to have a diversion airfield within flying distance if problems occurred, as with the recent undercart puncture.

P.S. R U following - http://lewin-of-greenwich-naval-history ... 0&start=70 - ?
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thanks David I will try to pay more attention . I had overlooked this Thread many thanks
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:29 pm Thanks David I will try to pay more attention . I had overlooked this Thread many thanks
Catchup in the Dogs until UTD!
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

F-35 electronic warfare system production.

BAE Systems is providing additional EW systems, retrofit kits, and spares for the F-35.
The firm say that the contract “builds on BAE Systems’ on-time delivery of more than 800 state-of-the-art AN/ASQ-239 electronic warfare/countermeasure systems to date”, providing F-35 jets with critical situational awareness and survivability capabilities.

“We’ve delivered cutting-edge electronic warfare systems for every F-35 fighter,” said Deb Norton, vice president of F-35 Solutions at BAE Systems.

“Our team is focused on manufacturing excellence and execution, providing agile, adaptable systems to outpace the current and future threat.”

This Lot 16 award comes as BAE Systems delivers Lot 14 systems and executes material orders for Lot 15.

The company is currently producing 18 sets a month as it ramps production to more than 20 sets a month in 2022 to match F-35 aircraft Low Rate Initial Production.

The AN/ASQ-239 EW system provides advanced offensive and defensive capabilities that enable the F-35 to “engage complex and highly capable threats”, say BAE.

Describing the system on their website, the firm say:
“Always active, AN/ASQ-239 provides all-aspect, broadband protection to help the F-35 reach well-defended targets and suppress enemy radars. This system stands alone today in its ability to operate in signal-dense environments, providing the aircraft with radio frequency and infrared countermeasures, and rapid response capabilities like no other aircraft. Its platform level design provides improved reliability and maintainability, optimizing long-term lifecycle costs.
The AN/ASQ-239 is also built for the future, with an architecture system that allows new capabilities to be added for the F-35 fifth-generation aircraft. Our Digital Channelized Receiver Techniques Generator and Tuner Insertion Program (DTIP) technology upgrades the AN/ASQ-239 system to enable new capabilities, further improving warfighters’ ability to conduct critical missions in contested airspace. This improved EW system delivers the world-class functionality of the previous system in a smaller footprint, reducing volume and power requirements and creating space for future upgrades.”

Source UKDJ
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy air engineer at heart of F-35 programme in USA

Helping to ensure jets flying from the deck of HMS Queen Elizabeth have all the support and equipment they need is Lieutenant Commander Stuart Greenfield – from an office near the Pentagon.

The Royal Navy air engineer is one Briton on the US-led headquarters which oversees the entire F-35 Lightning programme – hundreds of aircraft, three different variants, operated or ordered by more than a dozen nations.

Since February 2019 he’s been assigned to the Assistant Programme Manager of Logistics in the F-35’s Joint Programme Office in Crystal City, Washington DC – a stone’s throw from the Pentagon.

There’s a logistics team dedicated to each of the three variants of the strike fighter: the A model (conventional land-based), the C (for conventional US ‘cats and traps’ aircraft carriers), and the B operated by the UK, US Marine Corps, Italy and Japan among others.

It’s their job to be the crucial link between front-line units and the F-35 Programme Office which oversees the entire stealth fighter project, ensuring the former get what they want from the latter.

Stuart arrived in Washington after several years with the Commando Helicopter Force, a period as an engineering instructor and working in the world of Lightning on both sides of the Pond from the F-35 test and evaluation unit at Edwards Air Force Base in California to helping to establish the engineering team behind 617 Squadron, the UK’s first operational unit

Continues, including photos, at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... 5-engineer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Aircraft and Aircraft Squadrons of the Fleets”