RN Aircraft Carriers: Queen Elizabeth Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Aircraft Carriers: Queen Elizabeth Class

Unread post by Pelican »

Aircraft Carriers – what are they for?

Right now there is plenty of imagery and media coverage of the Royal Navy’s aircraft carrier project. Discussion is mostly focussed on their size and design, their aircraft, their price and the politics of their construction but often a basic explanation of their function has been lacking. Here we outline the purpose and value of an aircraft carrier.

This is an updated version of an article, first published in 2014.
* In the past some naval advocates have over-stated their case and we recognise that aircraft carriers are clearly not a panacea that makes all land-based combat aircraft or bases irrelevant. Carriers cannot stay on station indefinitely, are not invulnerable or the answer to domestic terrorism and all ‘asymmetric’ threats.

See - https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/what-a ... GJVUNdIKPA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Mantis Handlers on QE R08

Having raised the topic back in January in the Equipment Identification Needed I thought David/Pelican might like this:-

NavyLookout Retweeted
Think Defence
@thinkdefence
36m36 minutes ago

Mantis Handlers, used for moving helicopters around confined spaces
EG64ToPX4AE5L9j.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Open link to view comments and other images)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:11 pm Mantis Handlers on QE R08

Having raised the topic back in January in the Equipment Identification Needed I thought David/Pelican might like this:-

NavyLookout Retweeted
Think Defence
@thinkdefence
36m36 minutes ago

Mantis Handlers, used for moving helicopters around confined spaces

EG64ToPX4AE5L9j.jpg

(Open link to view comments and other images)
TVM Harry, what is that saying - "A picture is worth a thousand words" or in this case pictures:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBcH6ZKFhws - pretty powerful for battery sourced.
"Curtiss-Wright Defense Solutions
The MANTIS aircraft tug is designed specifically for deck and ground handling of military helicopters and fighter aircraft."
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

The first Brit Lockheed F-35B Lightning II launch...HMS Queen Elizabeth,October 2019.
Little h

Brian James wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:21 am The first Brit Lockheed F-35B Lightning II launch...HMS Queen Elizabeth,October 2019.
BZ Brian - love the Union Flag on the lift fan flap behind cockpit.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Brian James wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:21 am The first Brit Lockheed F-35B Lightning II launch...HMS Queen Elizabeth,October 2019.
Slo Mo of same - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM3qQUV ... 2dxjT7mQLg
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HM Naval Base Portsmouth
Bit of a soggy day but a great opportunity to officially unveil our brand new jetty for the forthcoming arrival of our SECOND aircraft carrier HMS Prince of Wales.

HM Naval Base Portsmouth will now be able to berth both Queen Elizabeth aircraft carriers side-by-side in a £30million investment to ensure the modernisation of the historic base.
It was officially opened by Penny Connell, the wife of Assistant Chief of the Naval Staff (Aircraft, Amphibious Capability and Carriers) Rear Admiral Martin Connell. Both were was given a tour of the new jetty and the substation that will provide them with off-grid power.
Naval Base Commander Commodore JJ Bailey said: "This represents an historic moment for Portsmouth Naval Base as we prepare for the arrival of HMS Prince of Wales. Her appearance will change the skyline of the naval base for the next 50 years as well as transform the way Defence operates across the globe.
"It is therefore only right that we meet that modernisation of our fleet with the modernisation of our supporting infrastructure and both Victory Jetty and Princess Royal Jetty now absolutely meet that demand."

For photos go to: https://www.facebook.com/HMNBPortsmouth ... =3&theater
Also: https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... e-of-wales
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ONBOARD R08 A MEETING oF JOINT MINDS - AIR & SEA - 17TH OCT 2019

"Hopefully everyone fully appreciates that the British F35B Lightning Force (UK JLF) is a Joint Service Force shared and operated for both aircraft carrier and expeditionary land base ops by the RN & RAF. Each squadron of F35s has both RN and RAF personnel within them. Here is a very pertinent and symbolic tweet from HMS QE as both the Deputy RN & RAF 3 Star Commanders of their respective services met on 17 Oct 19 to review the UK Lightning Trials."

See - https://twitter.com/hmsqnlz/status/1184 ... 7egcEUzwVE
Little h

SRVL -v- STOVL

Re the landing on of F35B's on QEC Carriers; it's confession time - either I a) had completely forgotten or b) hadn't ever fully absorbed (or fully comprehended) the intention to land vertically under normal circumstances and only conduct Shipborne Rolling Vertical Landings when returning with a 'payload' .... so I have falsely harboured the belief that all landings would be SRVL :oops:

I got a reality check when reading the following passage in an article titled:-

ANALYSIS: UK on a roll after F-35B carrier trials
07 December, 2018 SOURCE: FlightGlobal.com By Richard Scott

--------------------------------------------------

While a vertical landing is still intended to be the primary recovery mode for the F-35B on board the RN’s two Queen Elizabeth-class carriers, the size and arrangement of the vessels' flightdecks enables SRVL to be employed as an alternative, offering a significant increase in "bring-back" payload.

This will be most valued when the F-35B is recovering with external stores, particularly in hot weather/low pressure conditions, where vertical recovery margins are narrowed. The UK's previous-generation BAE Systems Harrier was often required to ditch ordnance before making a vertical recovery under such conditions.

Other benefits of the SRVL manoeuvre include reduced deck wear, extended engine life and reduced fuel burn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full article can be read by opening this link to the article carried in Flight Global
Little h
Annapolis265

Unread post by Annapolis265 »

HMS Queen Elizabeth made an impressive sight when anchored recently in Halifax Harbour. The Royal Navy looks to have some visible presence once again!

Brian
Terra Nova/Annapolis 265
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”