RN Aircraft Carriers: HMS Queen Elizabeth

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Aircraft Carriers: HMS Queen Elizabeth

Unread post by Pelican »

How times change!

Morning coffee with a difference! See our embarked Naafi team in action.

See video at - https://twitter.com/HMSQNLZ/status/1592452875212718081
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Queen Elizabeth completes one of the narrowest harbour entries in her history

HMS Queen Elizabeth completed one of the narrowest harbour entries in her lifetime as she arrived in Oslo after F-35B flying operations in the North Sea.
The 65,000-tonne aircraft carrier was carefully navigated through the tight waterways leading to Norway’s capital as her European security mission continues.

The 60-mile journey through Oslo fjord from the Skagerrak (the strait running between the coasts of Denmark, Norway and Sweden) saw the UK’s flagship carefully maneuvered through the Drøbak Sound – which is about 1000m or nine football pitches wide and 11 miles long – into the inner fjord.

Once her journey through the fjord was completed, with ice and snow starting to cover her vast flight deck, the UK’s flagship berthed near the historic Akerbus fortress – about a 15-minute walk to the heart of the city.

HMS Queen Elizabeth’s three-day stop in Oslo – the first time she has visited Norway’s capital – is seen as a big moment between two close NATO allies and already the ship has welcomed high profile Norwegian figures, a welcome fitting her status.

Norwegian Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre came aboard on Monday night and was hosted by Commodore Angus Essenhigh, the commander of the UK’s Carrier Strike Group.

The PM – who was pleased to be back on the bridge of a warship having completed naval officer training at the Royal Norwegian Naval Academy in Bergen in 1979-81 – was presented with a British flag and held a press conference on board with Norwegian media, as the UK and Norway underscore their strong alliance and friendship.

Joining the ship for entry into Oslo were Norwegian Chief of Defence, General Erik Kristoffersen and the Chief of the Norwegian Navy, Rear Admiral Rune Andersen, British Ambassador to Norway Richard Wood and UK Defence Attaché Lieutenant Colonel Richard Parvin Royal Marines.

Continues, with plenty of photos, at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... xLqwxzEWmw
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Our AwesoME Marine Engineers aka the “Badgers” hard at work!

See - https://twitter.com/HMSQNLZ/status/1596 ... 00/photo/1
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS QNLZ arrives back in Portsmouth this evening after 3-week CSG 22 - Op Achillean

Officially described as "a proof-of-concept deployment of NATO's 5th generation maritime strike capability, comprising of F-35 carrier strike, Merlin and Wildcat helicopters."

See - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 1508265984
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Maintenance work on HMSQNLZ well underway in Portsmouth today as she prepares for operations next yr.

Tents on flight deck used for repairs to heat-resistant coatings (Thermal Metallic Spray).

Diving tender at stern supporting inspection of underwater fittings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS PWLS in dry dock at Rosyth.

MoD says repairs to broken shaft coupling to take until 'Spring 2023'.
She will then return to Portsmouth for further planned maintenance.
Note: Aircraft Carrier Alliance branding replaced with Babcock plc logo on goliath crane.
Photo: M. Kell
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Z P M C [ logo on crane ?]. Imported from China ?
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:19 pm Z P M C [ logo on crane ?]. Imported from China ?
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/giant-g ... -now-sale/
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Forgive my ignorance David , and lack of attention , but a shame such an asset has to be sold on ......who knows when it might be needed next , but if a good price can be obtained its a worthwhile asset I would have thought for THIS country :?
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:15 pm Forgive my ignorance David , and lack of attention , but a shame such an asset has to be sold on ......who knows when it might be needed next , but if a good price can be obtained its a worthwhile asset I would have thought for THIS country :?
Some of the comments beneath the article are worth a read Ivor if you have not already.
Note that they are 5 years old.
I have not seen any up to date info.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”