HMS Belfast - History

Post here about the Imperial War Museum and its exhibits
ivorthediver

Re: HMS Belfast history

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well done Tim , keep them coming please , there are lots to make up for :)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

all I need is a little time; the picture of Belfast leaving Singapore for the last time always reminds me of one of Jim's superb paintings, I don't recall where I took it from now but it reflects a sort of finality to the scene, end of Empire and all that. I visited Terror sometime in the eighties, went for lunch in one of the Chinese restaurants set up as part of the facilities on the base. Illustrious/Invincible with Prince Andrew was alongside in the basin below (Terror is on rising ground) but the entire place was pretty deserted and had an air of gloom and echoes of importance past and gone. I remember we two were the only ones in the restaurant among a sea of empty tables all laid for people who would not return.

here are some pictures of one of Belfast's restored 4" mountings, I took it ages ago but think it might be S2, or number two mounting starboard side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Thank you Tim , shame I live so far away or I would have been one of the volunteers working on her Im sure :(

Knowing what restoration work is like but my area was Aircraft at Duxford for 12 years , but as I say it was hard graft over many years on three very large aircraft , dragging tool boxes across airfields and working in all weathers , but the satisfaction on completion was worth it .

I shall never forget our visit to HMS BELFAST and the good humour shown throughout of what I still regard as a fabulous representative of a proud and steadfast Naval Weapon first .....and a Naval tradition..... second and all it stood for .

I sometimes feel that recent events demean and devalue our nations heritage , and although its a case of the odd rotten apple in a barrel , its a slur on the proud actions of their forebears , which I find unacceptable but others would take a more tolerant view , so I know its me.... but it still smarts ......and I'm sure TTL would have swiftly corrected had he been involved .

Changing the subject a tad I did chuckle at the mention of you being in charge of the coal scuttle re-supply with your trusty Alsatian in the rat infested coal hole , brought back many memories of night shift , ---boiler houses[ whilst learning my trade] ..and the Rats coming out of the channel to scavenge for food during the night , and despatching many a rat with a shovel blade through the back of the neck :twisted:

I envy and admire your work both in the headlight's Glare... and behind the scenes ....that you both enjoy and excel in
and yet display your Dad's modesty and polished professionalism , long may you continue , and offer so much to others , often at your own expense ....you are a Gentleman Tim in every sense of the word

Now if I can just wean Karen off the White Burgundy :?
timlewin

you are too kind Ivor; speaking of the good old White Burgundy, I believe I have now amassed enough bonus points on my Davys loyalty card to be entitled to a case thereof; if only you were closer! I note that 3D printers can now replicate a glass, the next breakthrough in technology will be when they can transmit the contents.
ivorthediver

timlewin wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:22 pm you are too kind Ivor; speaking of the good old White Burgundy, I believe I have now amassed enough bonus points on my Davys loyalty card to be entitled to a case thereof; if only you were closer! I note that 3D printers can now replicate a glass, the next breakthrough in technology will be when they can transmit the contents.
I'm working on it Tim ;)
timlewin

http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/video ... s-belfast/

a while back my friends at World of Warships made this doco for their Naval Legends series (watch them all if you can) about HMSB. a few slips but worth watching with your next tot.
Tim

PS; I have invited them to join the Forum
timlewin

Ivor has asked me about Victory Day with the Russian veterans; I do this annually on the week of 8-9th of May but its not just Russian veterans, we also have our own more numerous vets as well as Canadian and Jamaican.

Here is the Sunset Ceremony from this year. Quarterdeck of Belfast 80/90 guests, TV crews et al. Bugler from the HAC, Sea-cadets to do the biz with the Ensign. Sunset came at 2030 precisely. Chief Yeoman Kevin Price called the bugler to sound the Alert, followed by Sunset. The Ensign was lowered and folded by the young cadets and presented to the oldest veteran, Nikolai Dupak, a former cavalry man who fought the Nazis at Stalingrad and was twice wounded. He went on to a successful acting career and to direct the Taganka Theatre in Moscow, as avant garde as it was possible to be under Communism. He was 97 but made the journey. You can see the Jamaican veterans, standing in the back row on the right is Captain (E) Rolfe Monteith RCN, 95, arm in arm with his Russian comrade Valentin; brothers in arms they were, now the arms are put aside, they remain brother to the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odaVavRG3x4

The Ensign went with him back to Moscow and now hangs in the Russian equivalent of the IWM (we inscribed it discreetly with "Victory Day 2018, HMS Belfast)
ivorthediver

Thank you Tim , Even if we are the only ones there the Forum WILL be represented , as passage booked and hammocks stowed and ready to be slung Sir.......... :) :) .....and in all respects ready to see ;) ;)
timlewin

if you go to the film & video link and open the film RED SHORE it has a lot about the Victory Day events we organise for the old chaps, and some of the visits to the museum ship, icebreaker, Krassin in St. Petersburg. You will also see briefly the Spitfire operated by Historic Aircraft Collection I hired for 2 days to fly over Loch Ewe. I had planned for the Hurricane but this was in maintenance (Hurricanes being more significant in the Russian context). The Spit was flown by Charlie Brown, the guns have been removed, no longer entirely necessary, and replaced by larger fuel tanks so its possible to fly from here to there in only one leg. He spent the night at Oban and did his displays over the loch from there. Stirring stuff, you cannot beat the sound of that engine. During the summer I get fairly frequent over-flights by Spitfires doing displays along the South Coast, there is no mistaking them, the other old aircraft we get is the Harvard, a much deeper and heavier note that the numerous light aircraft we get, no mistaking these old stagers. In nearby flying range we have Headcorn, Lydd, Shoreham and others.
timlewin

a few celebration pictures to go with that last post...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Imperial War Museum - HMS Belfast: RAF Duxford”