RN Aircraft Carriers: Centaur Class 1953

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
DaveH

Re: RN Aircraft Carriers: Centaur Class 1953

Unread post by DaveH »

Here is one of Hermes [66/67 Commission] showing full turnout .

img003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Ah those were the days Dave .......thats what I call a Ships Company .......Bristol fashion indeed ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Cannot remember exactly where I was when that was taken ...... either closed up on watch in the Shak or down below in Damage Control HQ.

Happy days and a great Commission on the best of the Centaurs [no incoming invited :) #] which incidentally outlived them all going to the Indian Navy after her service with the RN and running until last year when she was finally paid off.
ivorthediver

Well it obviously made a lasting impression on you mate , and helped you retain the memory of many hours on watch on her eh :)
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

I know few others who thought these were the best of days; I recommend the book "HMS HERMES 1959-1984" by Lt. Cdr. Tony Dyson which is still available on Amazon used.
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Indian government has approved plan for INS Viraat (Ex-HMS Hermes) the world’s oldest aircraft carrier to be preserved as maritime museum-& marine adventure centre. She will be grounded, sealed to to Nivati rocks 7nm miles off the coast of Mumbai.

Source NavyLookout on Twitter Save the Royal Navy.org including comments.

See full article here in Times of India
Little h
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

this might well be some of those cancelled?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

I don't think any of Harland and Wolff carriers were cancelled, although several were not completed until many years later. The following were built by Harland and Wolff: Formidable, Campania, Glory, Warrior, Magnificent, Powerful, Hercules, Eagle, Centaur and Bulwark.
I think your photo shows the last three, with Eagle in dock on the right and Centaur and Bulwark beyond in early 1950's.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

God , I wish I had stayed on at school another few months , and became as bright as you two :shock: .....only teasing ........but it amazes me how you two find all this info from so far back , its embarrassing and makes me feel like an idiot .......more power to you both , and thanks for sharing your expertise with us .....the undeserving ,........but hungry for information ;)
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Fairey Gannet COD.4 delivers mail to HMS Hermes with Blackburn Buccaneers and De Havilland DH110 Sea Vixens spotted pictured in 1967.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”