Model Making: General

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
ivorthediver

Re: Model Making: General

Unread post by ivorthediver »

No problem mate , I should have made an earlier reference to it but didn't think of it ;)

Heres one I took especially for YOU at the Show .....F235 :D

Sorry its not so sharp but it was a busy day with a lot of people barging around and jostling about so hope its ok
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

I'm a bit confused by the one labeled MUSHASHI, sitting between the 2 other "hulls" of the class.? She appears to have the same #-24 of 5"40s as the modified YAMATO. However, a shortage of 5" 40s kept that from happening and she was loaded with even more triple 25s!! However, I believe the "gun pits" were built for the 5", but turreted triple 25s were actually installed.

I took the easy way out on my tiny MUSHASHI: built her with the original 12-6.1s :lol: After to many rounds of storage, her aircraft crane was broken off... :(

Sure looks like modeling is taken seriously in the UK! Only model/contest show I ever attended was decades ago out in L.A. area. I brought my then newly built (1:1536) SOUTH DAKOTA and entered her. Won second place in ships; which po'd a fella with a big Tamiya(?) IJN kit. It was beautifully detailed and painted, but judges felt my lil scratch built SOUTH DAKOTA deserved second instead of a kit!! If they (and I) had been more familiar with the 4 units of the class my model would have been dinged, but a lot of pics n drawings were not available back then over here... :( Nope...no telling what the error is!!

In this view of all 5 of my third gen USN BBs the mistake-now-is quite evident ;) DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

I for one couldn't correct any items there as my expertise is confined to a few types which I have worked on and learnt most of the detail from the old hands on the other Forum and books I have collected , having none of the multiplicity of talents shared with me from other 's who new better than me and were generous enough to advise me when ever I asked the question causing me concern at the time ;)

I wandered into modelling via the need to find a hobby that necessitated using my hands, once work was finished ,and I was mentally spent ,and I found I could unwind completely doing it and in doing so ended up with a half decent representation of the project I was building .....

Others who know me well already know this , and I only repeat it lest others think I am some kind of example to follow

Having now been doing it for more years than I care to admit to , I am able to admire others work and appreciate just how much research is needed to scratch build anything ! and the difficulty of making small things in big hands like mine so scale , hence the books , videos , Forum chat , and membership of local clubs .

My mentor, if there ever was one, was Sandy [ our dear friend who crossed the bar] , as he not only encouraged me but taught me to never throw anything away which could prove useful on a model with a little work ......Detail will help you convert a mediocre model into a great model by taking time and that little extra effort and the addition of little items on a model ......all of which made it stand out and the viewer more lenient over items which were not "Right on the money "

So in short ...I don't judge , but I always ask questions on a topic of interest to me..... :oops:
designeraccd

As we said in the MARINE CORPS: "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!" Always fine to LEARN ;)

I have rebuilt quite a few of my old models as better info, pics became available. Probably the best example would be the SOVIETSKI SOYUZ battleship. I built her from speculative info in Breyer's Battleship book @ 1970. Some years back good drawings and photos of the builder's model "surfaced" Upon seeing the new info, I tore my model down to her hull, saving the 3 main triple 16" turrets. Everything else, including hull mods, was built new! Now she is a accurate model, given her 1:1536 (1"=128') scale. :D DFO
ivorthediver

Well done Dennis , take my hat off to you mate, and as you say "You never finish a model" due to changes of information etc etc....

Refits can range from 20% upwards , but at least your never get bored
designeraccd

Oh yes, SOV. SOYUZ was @ 80%!! Here is German H-39 design... :o Another "minor" REbuild! DFO
ivorthediver

Well I can see that like me Dennis you must have a submersed masochistic streak in you .......I mean ...be fair who in their right mind would put themselves through all this grief ........and claim it is a form of enjoyment :o

Been Admiring your dividers , don't leave them laying around mate :mrgreen:
ivorthediver

Well about time for a few more Photographs in no particular order more as I came alongside them .

The previous exhibitions I have been to seemed to have a theme , but this year it was not obvious ......well certainly not me anyway , having said that this year they added a creditable display of R/C trucks and Diggers , which are all kit form [ mainly Tamiya ] and were all kits and no obvious displays of Bits to build them .

Still here are what was observed and there are more of this Carrier later on which I know your enjoy :D
Last edited by ivorthediver on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivorthediver

Heres a few more which I hope you will enjoy , I'll try to avoid tugs , but there were an awful lot there ;)

Nice model of HMS Hood in this batch :)
ivorthediver

Lets see what else we have , huh I know how the guy working on Ramilles feels :oops:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”