RN Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) - River Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) - River Class

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Spey in floating dry dock at Yokohama
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Nothing serious I trust :o
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:24 pm Nothing serious I trust :o
Probably a bottom scrape, repaint and 'down below' external inspection etc.
The 2 Rivers are certainly clocking up the N.M.s.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Ahh thanks for that Derek , hoped it was but not that clued up with periodic maintenance :oops:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout
HMS Spey out of floating dry dock last night and back alongside at Yokohama, Japan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Scope for extended patrol ship operations after HMS Tamar’s successful link-up with US Navy tender

A US Navy support ship demonstrated it could enhance the scope of Royal Navy operations in the South Pacific.
For the first time, HMS Tamar berthed alongside the USS Emory S Land – treating the US Navy submarine tender not just as a floating quayside or jetty, but also ‘plugging in’ to the vessel’s fuel, water and power supply.

For good measure, the experimental link-up – known as ‘rafting up’ – was completed by a third ship, Australian survey ship HMAS Leeuwin, as all three vessels met up in Cairns, Queensland.

The Emory S Land acts as a tender (historically known as a ‘depot ship’ in the Royal Navy), providing forward support to US Navy hunter-killer nuclear submarines – electricity, water, consumables, spare parts, repairs, engineering assistance – and their crews – medical and dental aid, mail, food, administration – to sustain operations when there’s no naval base available.

The UK does the same – except for Royal Navy and US minehunters rather than submarines – operating in the Gulf, using ship RFA Cardigan Bay to provide similar facilities to mine warfare vessels, extending their operations.

Continues https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... th-us-navy
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout
Winter in the South Atlantic.
HMS Forth alongside at Mare Harbour in the Falkland Islands.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Batch 2 River Class OPV HMS Spey pictured undergoing an undisclosed defect rectification at Yokosuka's Floating Dry Dock facility on June 25th 2024.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

UK Royal Navy’s Batch 2 River OPVs show value of small ship diplomacy

The operations of HMS Tamar and HMS Spey in recent weeks have demonstrated the role that small ships play, and how they are sustained while forward deployed.

Continues https://www.naval-technology.com/news/u ... y/?cf-view
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

UK Royal Navy’s Batch 2 River OPVs show value of small ship diplomacy

The operations of HMS Tamar and HMS Spey in recent weeks have demonstrated the role that small ships play, and how they are sustained while forward deployed.

Continues https://www.naval-technology.com/news/u ... y/?cf-view
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”