F35B Airwing

Add your posts about the Naval Aircraft in this section
Pelican

Re: F35B Airwing

Unread post by Pelican »

809 Naval Air Squadron to deploy operationally next year

The Earl of Minto confirmed that 809 Naval Air Squadron is projected to grow in strength and capability, with an increase in pilots expected to enable the squadron’s first operational deployment in 2025.
In December 2023, 809 Naval Air Squadron joined the RAF’s 617 ‘Dambusters’ as the second, front-line stealth fighter formation, operating the F-35B Lightning.

The information comes from a letter from the Earl of Minto to Lord Lee of Trafford regarding the number of pilots on the F-35 Lightning Force, as raised during an oral question on 809 Naval Air Squadron.

“During the debate on 809 Naval Air Squadron on 11 March 2024, you asked a question about the number of pilots currently manning the F-35 Lightning Force. I am sure you will understand that Lightning Force is a relatively small cadre of personnel with an important frontline role.

With such a small force, we have to carefully balance placing information in Parliament which would enable our adversaries to derive our full military capabilities. Consequently, I cannot provide the number of qualified F-35 Lightning pilots as it would prejudice the capability of the Armed Forces.

However, I can reassure you that the numbers of pilots on the Force are more than sufficient to continue to equip the existing frontline squadron and provide the training requirements for Force growth to reach Full Operating Capability of two frontline squadrons in 2025.

617 Squadron is at its normal operating strength of pilots, and as I gave in the primary answer in the debate, 809 Naval Air Squadron’s force growth, strength and capabilities will continue to increase throughout this and next year as further pilots graduate, as scheduled, from the Operational Conversion Unit. This will enable the first operational deployment of the squadron in 2025.

I hope this explains the position. I am placing a copy of this letter in the Library of the House.”

The Royal Navys said previously that of the more than 100 historic Fleet Air Arm units whose numbers are currently dormant, 809 was selected more than a decade ago as a F-35 Lightning formation, largely due to its illustrious history as a strike and attack squadron having received battle honours from operations in the Arctic, Mediterranean, Burma, Suez and South Atlantic over a 41-year period.

The recommissioning sees the number of UK squadrons operating the Lightning expand to four, two front-line, plus 207 Sqn (Operational Conversion Unit) and 17 Test and Evaluation Sqn.

Source UKDJ
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

F-35 program’s lifetime price tag tops $2 trillion, Pentagon wants jets to fly longer

While the Pentagon now expects the plane to fly until 2088, GAO found the services are planning to slash flight hours, which can help hold down the program's topline.

Continues https://breakingdefense.com/2024/04/f-3 ... KjtFvbfI5P
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines

USMC BLACK catting USN/USAF https://www.twz.com/air/check-out-this- ... -17YqtHX31
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Aircraft and Aircraft Squadrons of the Fleets”