MN News in General

Threads relating to the Merchant Navy and Maritime Safety
Pelican

Re: MN News in General

Unread post by Pelican »

Maersk to Partially Bypass Panama Canal Backlog by Shifting to Panama Railway

Maersk Lines has announced that it will be routing containers on its Oceania-to-the Americas “OC1” service around the backlogged, drought-stricken Panama Canal. The line will be transporting cargo via the “land bridge” across the isthmus by the Panama Canal Railway instead.

The Denmark-based shipping and logistics giant said in a customer advisory that the decision was made to ensure cargo “continues to move with as few delays as possible.” The company has not indicated whether it will extend the land bridge concept to other service lines.

Sourcing Journal notes that the modified route creates two separate “loops” on each side of the canal—one in the Atlantic Ocean and another in the Pacific Ocean.
Continues at - https://www.oldsaltblog.com/2024/01/mae ... more-61223
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

A walk through the cruise ship Icon of the Seas
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

World's largest yacht transporter delivers historic luxury boat to Cornwall

The 700-foot ship capable of carrying up to 36 superyachts delivered a very special old motor boat

See - https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... rs-9099061
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Baltimore Key Bridge Collapses After Being Struck by Container Ship MV Dali

At approximately 1:30 AM this morning, the Singapore-flagged, 10,000 TEU container ship, MV Dali struck the southern support pillar of the Francis Scott Key Bridge, spanning the Patapsco River at the entrance to the Port of Baltimore, Maryland. The impact collapsed the main spans of the 1.6-mile-long bridge.

There are no reported injuries aboard the ship. Maintenance workers on the bridge and an unknown number of vehicles were thrown into the river when the bridge collapsed. Two were rescued from the water while at least seven are reported to be missing.

The crew of the container ship issued a “mayday” saying that it had lost power and propulsion before hitting the bridge, the authorities said, calling it an accident. Video just before the collision shows the ship’s lights going out twice before veering off course. The ship had two pilots onboard, according to a statement by its owners.

The Dali is owned by Grace Ocean Pte Ltd, a Singapore-based company owned by the Abe family of Japan, and is under charter by Maersk.

“We can confirm that the container vessel Dali, operated by charter vessel company Synergy Group, is time chartered by Maersk and is carrying Maersk customers’ cargo. No Maersk crew and personnel were onboard the vessel,” said a Maersk spokesperson.

See - https://www.oldsaltblog.com/2024/03/bal ... more-61535
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Update on the Glen Sannox and the Glen Rosa

Ferguson Marine has provided an update to the NZET Committee of the Scottish Government on 19 April 2024 regarding the status of two shipbuilding projects, Glen Sannox and Glen Rosa.
The letter from Interim CEO John Petticrew detailed recent completions and ongoing challenges in the construction of these vessels.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/update- ... glen-rosa/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Posts Dedicated to the Merchant Navy, Maritime Safety and Shipbuilding”