F35B Airwing

Add your posts about the Naval Aircraft in this section
Pelican

Re: F35B Airwing

Unread post by Pelican »

Lockheed Martin has just produced the 1,000th F-35.

However, some aircraft are not being delivered, awaiting Tech Refresh-3 (TR-3) hardware and Block 4 software development that won't be completed until mid-2024.
For the UK, Block-4 will allow the integration of Meteor and SPEAR-3 weapons.
See - https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/t ... been-built
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

MOD confirm more Britsh weapons on F-35 by end of decade

The Ministry of Defence has confirmed that both the Meteor air-to-air missile and SPEAR 3 cruise missile will be integrated on to UK F-35s by the “end of the decade”.

The latest confirmation of this information came from a response to a Parliamentary Written Question.

John Healey MP, Labour Defence Spokesman, asked:

Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/mod-con ... of-decade/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

UK and Italy to service each other’s Typhoons and F-35Bs

The Royal Air Force say here that it has signed a formal agreement with the Italian Air Force which paves the way for servicing and maintenance of each other’s Eurofighter Typhoon and F-35B Lightning aircraft.

Signature of the implementation agreement follows on from the ‘Long History, Long Future: Tornado to Tempest’ Statement of Intent’ signed at RAF Marham last May.

Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-and- ... nd-f-35bs/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Sir Humphrey
The RAAF now has roughly double the number of F35 that the RN and RAF have in service, and at 72 ordered, has got 50% more on order than the UK (48 ordered).
Australia increasingly seems to be taking defence more seriously than the UK when it comes to funding capabilities.

Chris Bolton
Royal Australian Air Force F-35
60 delivered out of 72 planned.
◦RAAF Base Williamtown, New South Wales
▪No. 2 OCU
▪No. 3 Squadron
▪No. 77 Squadron
◦RAAF Base Tindal, Northern Territory
▪No. 75 Squadron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

UK appears to recommit to full order of 138 F-35Bs

The United Kingdom has, it appears, signalled a reaffirmation of its commitment to procure 138 F-35B aircraft, as per the original plan laid out in the early stages of the programme.
In a recent parliamentary exchange, James Cartlidge, Minister of State at the Ministry of Defence, provided a detailed response regarding the UK’s commitment to the F-35 programme.

On 5th February 2024, he stated: https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-appe ... 38-f-35bs/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Lockheed Martin F-35 jet enters full production

The U.S. Department of Defense has announced that the F-35 Lightning II has been approved for Full Rate Production (FRP).
The entry into full rate production was made possible by a series of trials and evaluations last year, including a Combined Initial Operations Test and a System Development and Demonstration evaluation.

The U.S. DoD said:

“F-35 achieved this milestone after considering the results from the F-35 Combined Initial Operational Test and Evaluation and Live Fire Test and Evaluation Report, System Development and Demonstration exit criteria, statutory/regulatory documentation compliance, future production strategy, and draft acquisition program baseline details. Proceeding to MSC/FRP requires control of the manufacturing process, acceptable performance and reliability, and the establishment of adequate sustainment and support systems.”

To date, over 990 F-35 aircraft have been delivered to the U.S. Services, F-35 Cooperative Program Partners, and Foreign Military Sales customers.

“I am very proud of our team, and this is a huge accomplishment!” said Lt. Gen. Mike Schmidt, Director and Program Executive Officer, F-35 Joint Program Office.

“The F-35 enterprise has made significant improvements over the last decade, and we will always be driven to continuously improve sustainability, interoperability, and lethality so warfighters have the capability needed to fight and win when called to do so. Moreover, the Program and our great people can now focus on the future of the F-35 instead of the past.”

Source UKDJ
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

List of UK owned F35Bs - a replacement for the 'lost a/c' is due to be received next year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Britain takes delivery of more new F-35 stealth jets

The arrival of more F-35B jets this weekend means the UK now has 34 of the stealth jets.
With one aircraft lost in an accident and four test jets in the US, there are now 30 of the type in operational service in the UK.

There is an expectation that all of the 47 in the first batch will be delivered by the end of 2025. Note that it would have been 48 if one didn’t crash.

After that, the Ministry of Defence expressed the intention to purchase another tranche of jets.

Funding has been delegated for an additional tranche of F-35B jets for Britain beyond the 48 already ordered.
Jeremy Quin, then Minister of State at the Ministry of Defence, stated last year:

“Funding for a second tranche of F-35 Lightning has been delegated to Air Command as part of our recent annual budget cycle. Funding for Atlas A400M which not yet been delegated. A decision on future tranches of F-35B will be made in due course.”

For more on the planned additional A400M purchase see here, now, on to the F-35B.

“As you know, we are going to acquire 48. We have made it absolutely clear that we will be acquiring more. We have committed to have 48 in service by 2025, and we will be acquiring more. We have set that out in the IR. We will set out the exact numbers in 2025. The 138 number is still there. That is a defined number and we are looking at keeping these aircraft carriers in operation for a very long period of time. I am not dismissing that number either. We know that we have 48 to which we are committed, and we know that we will buy more beyond that.”

How many are expected?
According to the Defence Command Paper titled ‘Defence in a Competitive Age’, the UK intends to increase the fleet size beyond the 48 F-35 aircraft it has already ordered.

“The Royal Air Force will continue to grow its Combat Air capacity over the next few years as we fully establish all seven operational Typhoon Squadrons and grow the Lightning II Force, increasing the fleet size beyond the 48 aircraft that we have already ordered. Together they will provide a formidable capability, which will be continually upgraded to meet the threat, exploit multi domain integration and expand utility.

The Royal Air Force will spiral develop Typhoon capability, integrate new weapons such as the UK developed ‘SPEAR Cap 3’ precision air launched weapon and invest in the Radar 2 programme to give it a powerful electronically scanned array radar. We will integrate more UK weapons onto Lightning II and invest to ensure that its software and capability are updated alongside the rest of the global F 35 fleet.”

UK appears to recommit to full order of 138 F-35Bs

Despite previously dropping the target of “138 aircraft through the life of the programme”, the UK appears to have reconfirmed that plan.

UK Defence Journal 17 March 2024
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout
2 more F-35Bs delivered to RAF Marham last week.
BK-34 (ZM168) / BK-35 (ZM169)
UK-based Lightning Force now up to 31 aircraft
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The F-35 Block 4 is Pure Science Fiction!

The F-35 block 4 will be an important step ahead for the F-35 program.
Let's see how is it going to happen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m127ytxzL_o
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Aircraft and Aircraft Squadrons of the Fleets”