D-Day 80

Honour our War Dead here and post your photos of your local Remembrance Day events
Pelican

D-Day 80

Unread post by Pelican »

Plans unveiled to mark D-Day's 80th anniversary

Major international commemorative events on both sides of the Channel will mark the 80th anniversary of the Normandy landings.

D-Day 80 will be a large-scale celebration of those who ran the gauntlet of Hitler’s vaunted Atlantic Wall and helped begin the liberation of western Europe from the Nazi yoke.

The Ministry of Defence will work with the Royal British Legion, Commonwealth War Graves Commission and the Normandy Memorial Trust to host commemorations worthy of the sacrifices made and the scale of the operation.

With the number of those who were there dwindling by the week, these are likely to be the last major commemorations attended by veterans/members of our Greatest Generation.

Continues at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... rsB4o_40BA
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: D-Day 80

Unread post by Pelican »

Commemorating the heroes of the Battle of Normandy

The 80th anniversary of the Normandy Landings
On 5 and 6 June this year, a series of major commemorations in the UK and France will honour the brave personnel who risked their lives for freedom and peace.

See - https://dday80.campaign.gov.uk/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy: HMS Medusa restored by sailors at HMS Collingwood in Gosport ahead of D-Day 80th anniversary

A historic warship that played a vital role in the Normandy landings in 1944 has been restored ahead of the 80th anniversary of D-Day

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defen ... 3OzR1NdpvX
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Dear All,
Our Embassy in Moscow will host a small tribute to D-day soon, they asked me to provide them with something brief about a few of our veterans, here is what I offered them.
Note the photo from 2019 onboard HMSB.
Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Dear All,
Here is a dit about the 10th DF, “where were you on D-day Dad?” very much abbreviated, with a selection of period photos you can choose from?
Not everyone was on the beach!
I wrote it this morning for the HMSB summer newsletter.
Tim
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Remembrance Thread”