Notifications of New Books, Etc.,

Let other members know of a good book that you are reading in this section
Pelican

Re: Notifications of New Books, Etc.,

Unread post by Pelican »

Bismarck Battle by I Ballantyn nominated for Maritime Found UK award.

(2022 Maritime Media Awards postponed until 2023)
https://www.bismarckbattle.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

F.A.A. BOYS VOL. 4

Dear all,
A few more things to tell you about with less than ten weeks to go to the launch on 10 June.

The latest from Grub Street is that Volume 4 is going to print in mid-April, on schedule. John Davies has said "There really is some cracking stuff here especially 'Characters' and 'In Action'." Thanks John.

Please remember that vol.4 can be pre-ordered now and if you do so through Navy Wings they benefit from every sale. In addition to your contributor's discount, you can elect to collect the books at the launch if you so wish and if you do and would like more than one copy, please let us know so we can ensure plenty of stock is there on the day.

A further reminder about the Friday evening get-together in a local hostelry. Bob Crane is the man to talk to if you would like to join in, his email is robertcrane46@yahoo.co.uk

We have 107 names on our list of those people who have told us they plan to attend the launch. If you have yet to decide, please do soon if possible, and don't forget partners, friends, former shipmates, etc. are all equally welcome.

On the day, we will have an RN photographer in hand to record the whole event. We are also planning to have a running screening of appropriate videos for all to enjoy - details to be announced. There is also likely to be a surprise guest! - negotiations continue and are looking promising.

Finally we come to 'Flying with the Navy', the photo book that John Davies has so kindly agreed to publish in the autumn. Since we announced this, we have been overwhelmed by the number of photographs being sent in by so many of you - significant numbers arriving every day. There seems to have been much searching in attics and thumbing through old family albums to find not only what you did in the FAA, but also what your father and/or grandfather did. The result has been to build a remarkable collection of photos which really do expand the FAA story way back into its earliest days. All too aften you hear of photos, stories, log books, etc., being lost to history which is terribly sad. Although we will not be able fit everything sent to us into the photo book - we will use as much as we can - in due course the entire archive will be going into the hands of Navy Wings for safe keeping and made available to future researchers. The message is clear - please don't stop sending your photos and memories - we don't want to lose anything.

We are sure that by now, you have a good idea of just how much we appreciate the way you have wholeheartedly got involved in this effort - THANK YOU!

Best wishes

Steve and Heather
Dr Steve Bond PhD CEng FRAeS
Walnut Cottage
4 Pant Glas
Oswestry
Shropshire
SY10 7HS

Tel: 01691 661564
Email:by.meteor@outlook.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Elizabeth’s Navy

Description
With over 260 images, this is a highly illustrated history of the ships and operations of the Royal Navy during the reign of the late Queen Elizabeth II.

During the 70 years spanned by the reign of the late Queen Elizabeth II, the Royal Navy changed out of all recognition. Its status as a superpower navy with worldwide bases and operations has been eclipsed, but it remains a powerful force because of its potency if not its size.

Full details at - https://ospreypublishing.com/uk/elizabe ... _s4zv2DoiI
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

"Thought I’d share this with you, thoroughly enjoyable read from Cdr Nathan Gray, you may recall he landed the first F35 on HMS Queen Elizabeth - totally gripping especially his time flying the Harrier on operations over Afghanistan."

[Not my comment]
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout reposted Shashank Joshi

I wrote a cover story this week on the return of sea power.
Blockades are back in fashion.
Navies are up-arming & preparing for high-intensity warfighting again.
The barriers to sea denial may be falling. And investment in submarines is growing.
See - https://www.economist.com/international ... -sea-power
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Bloody Rain — Murder, Madness and the Monsoon : Free on Amazon & B&N

https://www.oldsaltblog.com/2024/04/blo ... amazon-bn/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Book Club”