RN Frigates: Type 31 Inspiration Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Frigates: Type 31 Inspiration Class

Unread post by Pelican »

Contract placed for Type 31 Frigate torpedo defence system

The Ministry of Defence has placed a contract with Ultra Electronics for the provision of three Sonar 2170 ‘Surface Ship Torpedo Defence’ systems to be fitted to the Type 31 Frigate fleet.
Known as Sonar 270 in Royal Navy service, the United Kingdom Surface Ship Torpedo Defence (SSTD) system entered into service with the Royal Navy in 2004. The system is produced by Ultra Electronics and is known as Sea Sentor in the export market.

The system consists of an acoustic passive towed array
a towed acoustic countermeasure (flexible)
a single-drum winch
a processing cabinet
2 display consoles
2 expendable acoustic device launchers (1 port, 1 starboard)
16 expendable acoustic devices (8 in each launcher)
The contract notice states:

“Ship Acquisition, which is part of the UK Ministry of Defence (MOD) proposes to place a contract with Ultra Electronics Limited for the provision of three Sonar 2170 SSTD Fit-to-Receive (FTR) kits. The SSTD kits are to be integrated onto the Type 31 Frigates.

The equipment to be supplied is Fit-to-Receive kits for the Sonar 2170 SSTD which the MoD owns and utilises across UK MOD Platforms.

Therefore, it is a key requirement that it is interoperable with the existing Sonar 1270 SSTD currently utilised. Ultra Electronics Limited has been identified as the only supplier capable of fulfilling this requirement as they are the sole manufacturer of the FTR kits and are the sole supplier holding specific technical data required for the performance of the contract.”

The contract is valued at £600,000.

The rendering at the top of the article -See https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/contrac ... Wx7UEdjqqw - shows Type 31 employing its Sonar 2170 towed-body equipment.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Defence company Babcock International has revealed that the firm is in active discussions regarding export opportunities of its Arrowhead 140 concept which was picked for the Royal Navy’s new Type 31 frigate design.

The shipbuilder published the information as part of the financial full-year results. The company’s officials noted:
“We are experiencing significant international interest in AH140, the export variant of our Type 31 frigate, driven by the demand for affordable and flexible naval power. Its modular construction offers a wide range of programme options, including capability (systems), construction and supply chain, and acquisition model – from a basic licence agreement to high levels of build programme participation for Babcock.”

In its report, Babcock emphasized that the digital design and build model for Type 31 is also an important enabler for the UK Government’s recently refreshed 30-year National Ship Building Strategy and positions the firm “well for future opportunities in the UK”.

The announcement comes following the success the company has experienced in Poland and Indonesia. To remind, Babcock secured the first export contract for its Arrowhead 140 concept through a design licence agreement with PT PAL Indonesia (Persero), an Indonesian enterprise that builds and maintains ships for military and commercial use.

Source Naval Today

Link from Tim.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Polısɦ Navƴ cɦooses Arrowɦead 140 desıgn for new frıgates

LONDON — Brıtaın ɦas furtɦer strengtɦened ıts defense ındustrıal tıes wıtɦ Poland followıng tɦe Marcɦ 4 announcement tɦat Babcock Internatıonal’s Arrowɦead 140 sɦıp desıgn was selected to equıp tɦe Polısɦ Navƴ wıtɦ a new class of frıgates.

Tɦe London-based companƴ said ıt concluded a serıes of strategıc cooperatıon partnerıng agreements wıtɦ tɦe PGZ-Mıecznık consortıum responsıble for delıverıng tɦree frıgates from sɦıpƴards ın tɦe Polısɦ port cıtƴ Gdƴnıa.

See - https://tv.allplaynews.com/polish-navy- ... ryDecoding
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Britain gets a new frigate factory

As part of their successful bid to build 5 Type 31 frigates for the RN, Babcock is constructing a new module hall to assemble the ships at their Rosyth yard. Here we examine the new facility and the implications of this investment.

On 24th January 2020 planning permission was given for the development at the dockyard at Rosyth. The building will occupy land between the Syncrolift hall (opened in 1980 and used primarily for minehunter refits), and Number 1 Dry Dock where both QEC aircraft carriers were assembled. This area was previously used to fabricate and erect the 14 sponson blocks for each carrier that Rosyth contributed to the construction. A spokesperson for Babcock said this week: “Demolition work for the new module hall is now complete, with development of the new facility underway”.

The basic building design is relatively simple, a large hall where two Type 31 frigates can be assembled side by side. This will be an impressive structure measuring 160m in length, 60m wide and 40m high. A prefabricated steel-framed shed can be usually be constructed rapidly, once the foundations are in place. The main internal feature will be two rail-mounted gantry cranes each with two hooks able to provide lifting cover to the full internal floor area of the hall. The cranes will be used to lift the modules into position as the ships are assembled. Both the north and south facade of the building will have two vertical-lift ‘megadoors’. Each door is 24m wide by 30m high with a demountable column between, creating a 48m-wide opening. The building is designed with flexibility for future shipbuilding operations beyond the conclusion of Type 31 construction.

Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/britain-get ... e-factory/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Venturer building at Rosyth illuminated for #RemembranceDay

Lower blocks of first Type 31 frigate HMS Venturer being assembled in the hall.

HMS PWLS in dry dock on the right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Contract awarded for Type 31 Frigate gun ammunition

Technical support, simulators and ammunition for the 57mm Mk3 and 40mm Mk4 naval gun systems have been ordered for the five Type 31 General Purpose Frigates.

According to a contract notice, the £65m contract was awarded to BAE Systems Bofors for “Provision of qualified ammunition, gun simulators and associated support for T31 Naval Guns”.

The award notice reads:
“Ship Acquisition, part of the UK Ministry of Defence (“the Authority”), proposes to place a contract for a duration of seven years with BAE Systems Bofors AB (“the Company”), for the supply of technical support, gun simulators to be commissioned into a Land Based Integration Facility (LBIF) for T31 Frigate and qualified 3P (programmable) ammunition for the 57mm Mk3 and 40mm Mk4 naval gun systems that will be supplied with the five Type 31 General Purpose Frigates.
In accordance with regulation 4 of The Defence and Security Public Contracts (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019 (SI 2019/697) this procurement falls to be regulated under the provisions of the Defence and Security Public Contracts Regulations 2011 as amended (in particular by SI 2019/697 and SI 2020/1450). Prior publication of a contract notice in the Official Journal of the European Union is no longer appropriate.
It is considered that the award of the contract without prior publication of a contract notice in the UK e-notification service is lawful in accordance with Regulation 16(1)(a)(ii) of the Defence and Security Public Contracts Regulations 2011 for Technical Reasons.
The Company is the supplier of the 3P ammunition that is currently being qualified by the ship builder and is the only economic operator with the necessary know-how, proprietary processes, and equipment-specific tooling and test equipment to ensure that the qualified T31 3P ammunition is safe to be utilised in the Type 31 naval gun systems at ship acceptance.
The Company also owns the Intellectual Property Rights for the both the 57mm and 40mm 3P ammunition. The testing and integration facility must be constructed and configured for the gun systems which are to be fitted to the T31.
The Company is the supplier of these gun systems and is the only economic operator with the necessary know-how, proprietary processes, and equipment-specific tooling and test equipment to supply and ensure the T31 gun system simulators can be integrated onto the Type 31 frigate LBIF.”

What weapons will be fitted to the Type 31 Frigate?

Last year Jeremy Quin, then-Minister for Defence Procurement, stated in response to a written Parliamentary question:
“It is intended that the Type 31 frigate will be equipped with the Sea Ceptor missile system and will be equipped with one Bofors 57mm Mk3 and two Bofors 40mm naval guns, in addition to a range of highly advanced weapon and sensor systems. These include a sophisticated combat system with 4D air and surface surveillance, target indication radar and the capability to operate a Merlin or Wildcat helicopter.”

From https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/contrac ... WDNtDbGqJA
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Developing the Type 31 frigate

To some extent, the capability of the Royal Navy’s Type 31 frigate cannot be fully appreciated without understanding the background to its development. Public perception has perhaps been over-focused on cost and initial armament, obscuring what has been achieved. In this article, we look at the procurement process and design philosophy that underpins the project.

https://www.navylookout.com/developing- ... 1-frigate/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Embracing TACTICOS – the Royal Navy’s new combat management system

The Thales TACTICOS Combat Management System (CMS) will be a critical aspect of the Type 31 programme. In this article, we look at the project to develop and integrate the fighting heart of the frigate.
As mission systems integrator for Type 31, Thales will supply the CMS, the communications, navigation and bridge systems for the ship. From an RN perspective, TACTICOS has been seen as something of an outsider, with BAES supplying the CMS throughout the fleet until now. This dominance was recently eroded when Thales won the Oceanographic Reconnaissance Combat Architecture (ORCA) contract to fit its TACTICOS-based M-Cube command & control system on the Hunt & Sandown class minehunters.

Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/embracing-t ... nt-system/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Thales completes TACTICOS CMS shipset for first Type 31 frigate

Thales Nederland has completed production of the first TACTICOS combat management system (CMS) shipset for the first of the UK Royal Navy's (RN's) Inspiration (Type 31)-class general-purpose frigates.

Under a contract awarded in November 2019, UK shipbuilder Babcock, leading the ‘Team 31' consortium, will deliver five Type 31 ships for the RN. The class is based on the Arrowhead 140 design – an evolution of the Royal Danish Navy's Iver Huitfeldt-class frigates, which were designed by OMT and adapted for UK requirements by Babcock and BMT.

Continues at - https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... 31-frigate
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

At a ceremony today in Rosyth Dockyard, the first steel was cut for HMS Active - the second Type 31 frigate.

For 5 photos see - https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=63 ... 6151788542

Also see - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/steel-c ... 7xMMbpTMyU
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”