The Overall Picture

Add your posts about the Russian Navy in this section
Pelican

Re: The Overall Picture

Unread post by Pelican »

Russian navy launched hypersonic missile from the Barents Sea

The test missile was said to hit a target about 1,000 km away, making it the longest test-shooting of the new Tsirkon missile so far.

Unlike previous test shootings of the new supersonic cruise missile in the Russian north, Saturday’s launch happened from the Barents Sea towards a target in the White Sea. Previous tests have either been from the White Sea, across the Kola Peninsula to a target in the Barents Sea, or, like with the submarine test last fall, from one location in the Barents Sea to another.

According to Russia’s Defense Ministry, the missile successfully hit the target located about a thousand kilometers away. The information is not verified by any independent sources. The press service of Russia’s Northern Fleet is not allowed to answer questions from foreign journalists, including the Barents Observer.

The Barents Observer on Friday reported about a huge playground in the Barents- and White Seas closed off for civilian aviation for military purposes. A spokesperson with the Norwegian Armed Forces could confirm that they were notified by Russia about the ongoing exercise.

The area partly overlapped to the Norwegian sector of the Barents Sea. Exact location of the frigate Admiral Gorskhov at the time of launch is not detailed.

With a maximum speed of 9 Mach (nine times the speed of sound) and the ability to maneuver during flight, the Tsirkon missile has caused considerable concern for the military balance in northern Europe as it is said to be impossible to stop with current anti-missile defense systems.

Tsirkon is the world’s fastest non-ballistic missile and can be armed with either a conventional or a nuclear warhead. The missile is designed for both sea- and land targets and the naval versions include both submarine and surface warship launchers. A version for a coastal launcher complex is said to be under development.

If today’s test can be an indication of the range of the production version with a warhead, the Russian navy could cause trouble for NATO voyages in the Arctic and North Atlantic. Important sealines from Svalbard in the north to west of the Lofoten archipelago in the south would be within range if the missile is launched from a warship in position north of the Kola Peninsula.

With a range of 1,000 km, the Tsirkon missile launched from the Russian sector of the Barents Sea can hit sea targets in larger areas of the Arctic and North-Atlantic. Source: Google map / Barents Observer

In February, just days before Russia’s massive unprovoked military attack on Ukraine, the same “Admiral Gorshkov” launched a Tsirkon missile from a position just east of the Bear Island in the western Barents Sea. International waters, but part of Norwegian Exclusive Economic Zone.

Source - https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/secur ... arents-sea

Link from Tim.

P.S. Video here - https://twitter.com/AZmilitary1/status/ ... 4359772160
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Parade of Russian Navy will gather 47 ships in St Petersburg

According to information published by Tass on June 8, 2022, a group of 47 warships, boats, and submarines will participate in Russia’s Navy parade in St. Petersburg on July 31, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said.

According to him, the parade will also involve the first female crew of the Raptor patrol boat. A live broadcast will provide an opportunity for millions of spectators both in Russia and abroad to watch these events, the defense minister added.

Continues, including photo, at - https://www.navyrecognition.com/index.p ... Le8IAOND4c
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Russia's most potent submarine base is decorated with large painting of U.S attack sub

Local authorities wanted to give downtown Gadzhievo a much-needed facelift, but the painting of an American attack submarine on a local house wall soon sparked outrage.

See - https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/secur ... attack-sub

Link from Tim.
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Except that "American" sub looks rather like a RN SSBN!! OOPZ! ;) Sort of like when Dimmcrap Party used a huge screenshot of Russian ships for USN at 1 of their conventions; only more permanent!! DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

A Russian defense industry source tells TASS that Russia will not purchase an additional 6 Project 22160 patrol ships as planned because of their poor performance during the war, including issues with seaworthiness, armor, engines, and air defenses.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ST PETERSBURG, Russia, July 31 (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin on Sunday signed a new naval doctrine which cast the United States as Russia's main rival and set out Russia's global maritime ambitions for crucial areas such as the Arctic and in the Black Sea.

Speaking on Russia's Navy Day in the former imperial capital of St Petersburg founded by Tsar Peter the Great, Putin praised Peter for making Russia a great sea power and increasing the global standing of the Russian state.

After inspecting the navy, Putin made a short speech in which he promised that what he touted as Russia's unique Zircon hypersonic cruise missiles, cautioning that Russia had the military clout to defeat any potential aggressors.

Shortly before the speech, he signed a new 55-page naval doctrine, which sets out the broad strategic aims of Russia's navy, including its ambitions as a "great maritime power" which extend over the entire world.

The main threat to Russia, the doctrine says, is "the strategic policy of the USA to dominate the world's oceans" and the movement of the NATO military alliance closer towards Russia's borders.

Russia may use its military force appropriately to the situation in the world's oceans should other soft powers, such as diplomatic and economic tools, be exhausted, the doctrine says, acknowledging that Russia does not have enough navy bases globally.

Russia's priority was to develop strategic and naval cooperation with India as well as wider cooperation with Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and other states in the region, according to the doctrine.

"Guided by this doctrine, the Russian Federation will firmly and resolutely defend its national interests in the world's oceans, and having sufficient maritime power will guarantee their security and protection," the document said.

Putin's speech did not mention the conflict in Ukraine, but the military doctrine envisages a "comprehensive strengthening of Russia's geopolitical position" in the Black and Azov seas.

Relations between Russia and the West have undergone deepening strain during the five months of the Ukraine conflict.

The doctrine also sets out the Arctic Ocean, which the United States has repeatedly said Russia is trying to militarise, as an area of particular importance for Russia.

Russia's vast 37,650 km (23,400 mile) coastline, which stretches from the Sea of Japan to the White Sea, also includes the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea.

Putin said the delivery of Zircon hypersonic cruise missiles to the Admiral Gorshkov frigate would begin within months. The location of their deployment would depend on Russian interests, he said.

"The key thing here is the capability of the Russian navy... It is able to respond with lightning speed to all who decides to infringe on our sovereignty and freedom."

Hypersonic weapons can travel at nine times the speed of sound, and Russia has conducted previous test-launches of the Zircon from warships and submarines over the past year.

In Crimea, Sevastopol governor Mikhail Razvozhayev said Ukrainian forces struck the headquarters of Russia's Black Sea Fleet in the Russian-held port city early on Sunday, wounding five members of staff. read more

Attached photo - "The Russian corvette Aleksin fires missiles during a parade marking Navy Day in Baltiysk in the Kaliningrad region, Russia July 31, 2022"

6 More photos within article at - https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 022-07-31/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

WhereisRussiaToday

Today is the 22nd anniversary of the Kursk disaster, when Putin covered up the deaths of 118 crew members.

An investigation blamed 'negligence, incompetence, mismanagement & obsolete equipment' for the incident.

The recent sinking of the Moskva shows that little has changed.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Russia’s Stereguschiy-Class Corvette “Rezky” Starts Shipbuilders’ Sea Trials

Russia's newest Steregushchiy-class (project 20380) corvette, Rezky (pennant number: 343), left Amur Shipyard for shipbuilders' trials.

See - https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... ea-trials/

Link from Tim.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

USC To Present Detailed Design Of Project 22350M Frigate To Russian MoD

The Severnoye Design Bureau (part of the United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC)) will present a detailed design of the upgraded Project 22350M lead frigate to the Russian Defense Ministry for approval, USC Deputy CEO for Military Shipbuilding Vladimir Korolyov told TASS at the Army 2022 international forum.

Naval News Staff 22 Aug 2022 TASS Russian news agency

“The ship is planned to be laid down when the detailed design and design documentation are no less than 60 percent ready. All the documents are being prepared by the Severnoye Design Bureau. The detailed design will be soon presented to Russia’s Defense Ministry for approval,”

USC Deputy CEO for Military Shipbuilding Vladimir Korolyov
Earlier, a defense industry source told TASS that there were plans to build 12 upgraded Project 22350M frigates with up to 48 Kalibr (NATO reporting name: SS-N-27 Sizzler), Onyx (SS-N-26 Strobile) and Tsirkon cruise missiles on each of them. The new frigates are planned to carry the Poliment-Redut air defense missile system with up to 100 missiles, antisubmarine warfare and torpedo systems.

The Army 2022 international military-technical forum is running on August 15-21 at the Patriot exhibition center outside Moscow. The Defense Ministry is the organizer of the forum.

Contents of a link from Tim.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Reportedly a new EW system is being developed for the defense of Russian combat & auxiliary ships. it will be placed in ordinary sea, the so-called 40ft containers. it will cover ships and vessels from enemy missiles and drones with interference.

See - https://twitter.com/anurlan/status/1567814103774666753 - And the Tweets that follow it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Russian Navy”