NATO - The Ukraine

Make your posts about Naval, together with Joint and Inter Service Execises on this thread. NATO, SEATO, etc.
Pelican

Re: NATO - The Ukraine

Unread post by Pelican »

Ministry of Defence - Defence HQ

Finland has become the latest nation to join the international coalition supporting the UK-led programme to train Ukrainian personnel in the UK, Defence Finland announced today.
See - https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/15 ... 3669224450
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
greendragon

Unread post by greendragon »

Thanks Pelican for providing link to the USMC modernization.
I am going to track the discussion and possibly hearing to the US Congress of this case.
I always say that military strong USofA means safe life in my country - so interest is well based.

gd
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office

It's welcome news that Ukrainian grain has begun to arrive in other countries thanks to the UN deal being adhered to.
But Russia must take responsibility for its role in worsening the food crisis and stop its illegal assault on Ukraine once and for all.
See video at - https://twitter.com/FCDOGovUK/status/15 ... 8204727304
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Five injured as blasts rock Russian air base in annexed Crimea

Blasts rocked a Russian air base near seaside resorts in the annexed Crimean peninsula on Thursday, injuring five people according to local authorities in what Moscow attributed to detonations in ammunition stories.

Local witnesses told Reuters they heard at least 12 explosions around 3:20 p.m. local time (1220 GMT) from the Saky air base near Novofedorivka on Crimea's western coast. They described a final blast around 30 minutes later as the loudest.

Crimea has so far been spared the intense bombardment and artillery combat that have taken place in other areas of eastern and southern Ukraine since Feb. 24, when President Vladimir Putin ordered Russian armed forces into Ukraine - including some based in the peninsula.

Continues and contains 10 photos, at - https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/lo ... 022-08-09/

Navy Lookout

Reports of 12 large explosions at Russian Novofedorivka air base in Crimea.
Home to Russian Air Force jets. Also has replica flight deck & ski ramp used to train naval aviators for aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov
3 Photos at - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 2518381569
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Armed Forces of Ukraine have received 50 new Kirpi armored vehicles from Turkey. Another batch of 150 units is expected to be delivered soon.
See - https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/35 ... SfIyrALKcI

Plus of course the drones previously reported.

[In the aftermath of the Second World War, Turkey made the historic choice of siding with the free world and the Western Bloc. This policy was led Turkey to become member of NATO on 18 February 1952. Since then, NATO has been the cornerstone of Turkey's defense and security policy.]
greendragon

Unread post by greendragon »

Poland has signed a contract with the US on buying 500 HIMARS launchers.
Together with Korean delivery of about 1000 tanks (with already existing fleet of Leopards and orders on Abrams in couple of coming years it would be about 1500 modern tanks) and 600 SP guns hardware part of PL Army will be impressive.
NATO provide a strong deterrence to Russia but the concept of having strong enough forces to stop the aggressor during an initial part of conflict quite rightly have prevailed from sort of disarmament policy carried out by the previous PL Gvt which was sort of copy of previous Germany (&EU) policy of patting Russia and "forlorn hope" of make this country civilized.

Number of the HIMARS and three(3) MARS from Germany is seen as far insufficient to change situation on Ukraine favor.
It is estimated that minimum to contain Russian advance (or attempts) is 50 and for providing effective fire support in any planned UKR Army offensive action should be about 100ea .

It is said that morale and will to fight of the Ukrainians despite human losses is still high. Top military commanders and troops fighting on front line do not show any sign of resignation from fight for their land and this is very positive.

gd

gd
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The UK has donated 100,800 doses of COVID-19 vaccines to Ukraine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Harpoon Block II: The Missile That Could Sink The Russian Navy

On Monday, Denmark announced that it would supply Harpoon anti-ship missiles and a launcher to Ukraine. It is reported to be the RGM-84L-4 Harpoon Block II, which is currently in service with the Royal Danish Navy’s Coastal artillery units. The truck-based coastal defense missile batteries first entered service some 50 years ago but have been steadily upgraded, while the Block II models feature autonomous, all-weather over-the-horizon capability and can execute both land-strike and anti-ship missions.

What Is the Harpoon? See - https://siamtoo.com/9863/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Ministry of Defence

Defence Secretary B Wallace MP is co-hosting an international conference in Copenhagen with Morten & Oleksiireznikov to deliver a plan for longterm financial & military support for Ukraine.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Russia’s Demise as an Energy Superpower

Today’s soaring energy prices are bringing Russia record-high revenue and keeping the country’s sanctions-battered economy afloat. But while Moscow is raking in short-term gains, they are unlikely to last. A combination of Western sanctions, the European Union’s accelerated energy transition and limits to Russia’s pivot to Asia make the long-term implications for the country’s oil and gas industry bleak.

Moscow’s traditional energy ties to Europe materialised during the Cold War. Beginning in the 1960s, the energy bridge served as a stabilising mechanism and confidence-building measure between Western Europe and the Soviet Union. The oil and gas infrastructure emerged as a physical connection between the two rival blocs and fostered more normal political ties based on a mutual economic interest. Since the fall of the Soviet Union, Russia’s loss of control over transit infrastructure and the profound transformation of the EU’s energy markets have turned the energy bridge into a source of tension. The Ukraine invasion increased those tensions to the breaking point.

Immediate consequences of the Ukraine invasion
Continues at - https://www.iiss.org/blogs/survival-blo ... MLn5ISIAlw
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “International Developments and Joint Service Exercises”