The Royal Fleet Auxiliary

A civilian-manned fleet owned by the United Kingdom's Ministry of Defence
Brian James

Re: The Royal Fleet Auxiliary

Unread post by Brian James »

Type 23 Frigates HMS Lancaster and HMS Westminster conduct a RAS with RFA Tiderace...2021.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

RFA recognises the young and the experienced at sixth awards

The brightest, most-dedicated and longest-serving members of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary converged on HMS Nelson’s wardroom for the Service’s sixth awards ceremony.
“As I approach the twilight of my service, I am often asked if, given my time again, would I still choose to go to sea? The answer is always a resounding ‘yes’,” Tony said.

“During an eventful career, I have travelled extensively, had some great times, and formed lifelong friendships. While there have been ups and downs aplenty, the good times with the RN and RFA have most certainly outweighed the bad.”

One man accounted for nearly a quarter of the 210 years: CPO(Chef) Martin Etwell who’s clocked up more than 50 years’ in galleys and continues to impart his substantial knowledge and experience training the next generation of chef apprentices, a job he finds especially satisfying.

Continues at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... xth-awards
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Britain sells naval vessels to Egypt

The UK has sold military vessels to Egypt for the first time in more than 30 years.
Royal Fleet Auxiliary stores ships RFA Fort Austin and RFA Fort Rosalie will sail to Egypt after refurbishment work.
The Ministry of Defence say that during their service, Fort Austin and Fort Rosalie helped to ensure armed forces personnel all over the world had the food, ammunition and explosives they need to carry out vital operations.

See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/britain ... fFLEAnUJb4
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Royal Fleet Auxiliary in 2022

The ships of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary are critical for the Royal Navy to operate worldwide but despite its excellent capabilities, the service is in slow decline. Here we look at the current status of the fleet.

The Integrated Review is committed to a vision of global Britain, able to deploy and sustain naval forces over long distances. The RFA has always been seen as a key enabler that gives the RN a reach many other navies lack. Despite the further reduction in the RFA’s size, it still just holds on to its crown as the premier naval auxiliary service in Europe although this is not a great yardstick for comparison. In 2002 the RFA numbered 20 vessels but in the two decades since, has more than halved in size, down to 9 active ships in 2022 and only 5 of them are capable of replenishment at sea.

Waves
RFA Wave Knight joined her sister in long-term lay-up in March as a cost and manpower-saving measure. At least these relatively modern ships have not been scrapped or sold, but even if the RN had adequate tanker capacity, these vessels have considerable utility besides replenishing warships. RFA Wave Knight was sent to the Caribbean, primarily on a humanitarian mission (2021) and served in the Gulf supporting RN and coalition warships (2019-20).

Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/the-royal-f ... y-in-2022/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Proud RFA family finally collect medal their husband/dad could not

See - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... -could-not
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Tide Class Replenishment Tanker RFA Tidespring pictured at Portland in 2021.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Royal Fleet Auxiliary”