General Submarine News

Submarines of the fleet
Pelican

Re: General Submarine News

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

Under AUKUS arrangements, Australian personnel now attending RN Nuclear Propulsion training courses.
The operation of RN nuclear submarine propulsion plants by Australian personnel remains subject to further enabling work.
See - https://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?i ... gHL1514.q0
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:44 pm Navy Lookout

Under AUKUS arrangements, Australian personnel now attending RN Nuclear Propulsion training courses.
The operation of RN nuclear submarine propulsion plants by Australian personnel remains subject to further enabling work.
See - https://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?i ... gHL1514.q0
Australians now attending British nuclear submarine courses

As part of the AUKUS agreement, Australian submariners are now attending Royal Navy nuclear propulsion training courses.
The information came to light after the following written exchange by members the House of Lords.

Lord West of Spithead asked:
Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/austral ... e-courses/

Link from Tim.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

H.M.S. Ganges
Wally Blagden
For all you 'Deeps out there, this is the 'Holy grail' in the 'Uckers world' it resides in the Submarine Museum in Gosport, it's called the Taku Cup and comes from HM Submarine TAKU 1942 this trophy was won by a stoker, made of an old milk tin can, and an old nut and bolt. During the last few WORLD UCKERS CHAMPIONSHIPS we have had a framed photograph of it at the Venue, three years ago we had the real thing, but it's now deemed to fragile to move.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Cdre Jim Perks retired today (after 38 years service) and hands over as head of the Submarine Service to Cdre Paul Dunn.

See - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... ne-service
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Getting boats to sea – efforts to improve Royal Navy submarine availability

With the RN attack submarine fleet down to just 5 boats and the pressure of maintaining the nuclear deterrent unrelenting, initiatives to improve submarine reliability and availability have never been more important. Here we look at what is being done to mitigate chronic legacy issues and increase the time submarines spend at sea.

Background
The UK submarine procurement and support enterprise is an exceptionally complex, expensive and demanding endeavour with many interdependencies and difficulties that stem from poor decisions in the past. The two biggest single historical errors were made by politicians. When the Vanguard-class construction finished in the late 1990s a lack of orders to keep production going led to an exodus of submarine designers and builders, ultimately delaying the Astute class programme by almost a decade. The 2010 decision to delay the Dreadnought programme by five years means the Vanguard-class boat’s (originally designed for a 25-year service life) life-extension refits must keep them running for 40 years. Keeping 30-40 year old boats safe and operationally effective will be extremely demanding.

Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/getting-boa ... y#vanguard

[Apols if I have posted this earlier.]
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thanks David , I have just crawled through this .....mind boggling ..... :o .....and a sea of incompetence by decision makers in the past ......but then again we as a country shop front a competent farce and penny pinch on our defence budget so that the MOD "reined" lads can regain their jobs at election time REGARDLESS of who wins the vote :evil: or at least it looks that way from the view I have of this cess pool of dithering !

I know we share differing points of view David , and I respect them , but perhaps if the government weren't so generous with our money to dependent causes.... new and old.... perhaps we could finance our needs in a more productive manner :(
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:29 pm Thanks David , I have just crawled through this .....mind boggling ..... :o .....and a sea of incompetence by decision makers in the past ......but then again we as a country shop front a competent farce and penny pinch on our defence budget so that the MOD "reined" lads can regain their jobs at election time REGARDLESS of who wins the vote :evil: or at least it looks that way from the view I have of this cess pool of dithering !

I know we share differing points of view David , and I respect them , but perhaps if the government weren't so generous with our money to dependent causes.... new and old.... perhaps we could finance our needs in a more productive manner :(
Not so sure we are that far apart on this and other issues Ivor.
Check out the soaring costs of housing the immigrants and the profits of SERCO - e.g. They are now seeking properties with a 5 year lease etc. But of course Macron is a friend of GB, [as long as he can export his problems], FOC, to the UK.
Or am I being unfair?
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

No .....Not at all David .... I totally agree with you on these issues and many others, but having not served in the services like you and many other of my friends on this Forum we still agree on many issues expressed on here but are not bound by the constraints sometimes expressed .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

UK to spend £100m on defensive submarine countermeasures

The Royal Navy is seeking expressions of interest from industry to develop and supply a countermeasure system for the Astute, Vanguard, Dreadnought and future SSN(R) class submarines.
The new system will be known as the ‘Next Generation Countermeasure’ (NGCM) and falls with the wider ‘Underwater Defensive Aid Suite’ (UDAS) programme.

According to the contract description, the duration is estimated to be for a period of 6 years.
“Expressions of Interest are sought from Potential Providers that have the capability to develop and supply a countermeasure system for Astute, Vanguard, Dreadnought and SSN(R) Class Submarines. The system will be known as the Next Generation Countermeasure (NGCM) and falls with the wider Underwater Defensive Aid Suite (UDAS) delivery Programme. The NGCM project is to be delivered in accordance with the Statement of Requirement (SOR) and Systems Requirements Document (SRD, which will be issued with the Invitation to Negotiate (ITN).

The Contract is also to provide:
– Trials & Testing
– Combat System Integration
– Initial Support Solution including Equipment & Technical Support
– An initial Training Needs Analysis (TNA) and follow-on training packages
– Post Design Services as required

Potential Providers are to note that in order to fulfil this requirement, the chosen supplier will be exposed to and required to safeguard nationally sensitive information/data bearing a security classification up to and including SECRET UK EYES ONLY level.”
The value of the contract is £100mn and it has a start date of March 2025 and an end date of March 2031.

Source UKDJ
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy submariners pictured wearing black caps for one of first times [And £300 jackets.]

See - https://www.forces.net/services/navy/na ... irst-times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “RN Submarines”