General Naval Topics

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: General Naval Topics

Unread post by Pelican »

ARMED FORCES DAY - Saturday 25 June 2022

FIND EVENTS
There are over 150 events marking Armed Forces Day 22 taking place across the country. Find the nearest one to you by using the map below and scroll through our list to discover what’s happening and where.

Go to - https://armedforcesday.org.uk/find-events/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS ENTERPRISE AT CORK

BREAKING NEWS | An Irish politician has been arrested after trying to board British naval vessel HMS Enterprise, a survey ship, in Cork Harbour. Here's a clip of the incident.
See - https://twitter.com/geoallison/status/1 ... 3740450821
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:13 pm HMS ENTERPRISE AT CORK

BREAKING NEWS | An Irish politician has been arrested after trying to board British naval vessel HMS Enterprise, a survey ship, in Cork Harbour. Here's a clip of the incident.
See - https://twitter.com/geoallison/status/1 ... 3740450821
Irish activist arrested after trying to board British ship

Irish activist Diarmuid O’Cadhla has been arrested after trying to board British naval vessel HMS Enterprise, a survey ship, in Cork Harbour.

See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/irish-p ... VMCHSM4EgI
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Solving the Royal Navy’s lethality problems

There is a growing concern about the RN surface fleet’s lack of offensive power. Here we look at what might be done to remedy the situation in the medium-long term.

Porcupines
In December 2021 the House of Commons Defence Select committee published the report ‘We’re going to need a bigger Navy’ following their inquiry into RN purpose and procurement. Their memorable and fair conclusion was that: “When ships do get to sea they act like porcupines – well-defended herbivores with limited offensive capabilities. This is a result of decisions by successive Governments to limit budgets and prioritise defensive capabilities. Offensive capabilities will be reduced even further when the Harpoon anti-ship missile is retired without a planned replacement. More money must be found to upgrade the Navy’s lethality and allow our ships to take the fight to the enemy.”

Although lacking mass, in general, the RN has effective air defences in the form of Sea Viper, Sea Ceptor and a mix of CIWS and light weapons. It is also equipped with good sensors and electronic warfare capabilities and is a potent anti-submarine force. In very broad terms, being effective at AAW and ASW have great value in keeping the sea lines of communication (SLOC) open and allowing the force to operate in theatre but are not the means to really threaten the adversary. It is the ability to sink ships, attack targets on land or mount amphibious operations that gives a navy the offensive edge that will act as a true deterrent.

Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/solving-the ... -problems/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

NAVY LOOKOUT

The average salary for railway workers is £45,000.
Average salary for those serving in the Royal Navy is £36,444
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

BAES Maritime new Storm Blade sea boat concept with V-shaped hull form. Possible contender to replace RN’s Pacific 24 RIBs

MoD issued tender to replace at least 36 boats in £16M contract last year (with option for a further 25).

See - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 6732959744
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Royal Navy of 2030 – How will it look?

What big changes are coming to the Royal Navy by 2030?
James Heappey, The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Defence, answered that question in a recent statement.

“In 2030, the Royal Navy will maintain its primary outputs of Homeland Defence, Carrier Strike, Littoral Strike and Persistent Engagement with more advanced capabilities, as part of Integrated Force 30.

By this point, the transition from Vanguard to Dreadnought will be moving at pace, maintaining the nation’s ultimate safeguard, while the Multi Role Ocean Surveillance programme will be monitoring and protecting our Critical National Infrastructure at sea.

UK Carrier Strike will have reached Full Operating Capability, providing our conventional deterrent.

All five Type 31 frigates will have been delivered and will be forward deployed around the world. The first batch of Type 26 frigates will be on operations, protecting our aircraft carriers and the nuclear deterrent, and the transition from crewed to autonomous minehunting through the Mine Hunting Capability programme will also be well advanced.

The UK’s Commando Forces will have been persistently engaged for over five years by this point, engaging with our allies and partners every day, while being ready to respond to crisis.”

Source UKDJ
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy ‘Special Purpose Vessel’ to arrive next month

A new 500-tonne ‘Special Purpose Vessel’ will arrive in Portsmouth next month to be prepared for her role as a trials platform.

Kevan Jones, MP for North Durham, asked:
“To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, when the Special Purpose Vessel is expected to be operational.”

Jeremy Quin, Minister of State at the Ministry of Defence, responded:
“The Special Purpose Vessel is currently scheduled to arrive in Portsmouth in late July 2022. She will then be prepared for her role as a trials platform.”

As I reported previously, the vessel of around 500 tonnes will be procured through a £9m contract and will support trials for “autonomy development”.

The contract specifications describe a steel vessel with a draught of 3.5m, top speed of 20 knots, a range of 2500 nautical miles, a crew of 6 and with the ability to tow small boats such as RHIBs.

In addition, the vessel is expected to have a crane and a working deck able to accommodate 2×40 foot ISO containers or 2x 20-foot ISO containers.

While the vessel will also be expected to be autonomous in future, the contract specification makes clear that the functional integration of technology provided to enable the autonomous behaviours of the platform are excluded from this current contract but that the contractor should support the physical integration of this equipment in future.

The statement of requirements are relatively vague but do state that NavyX (that’s the part of the Royal Navy that typically deals with experimental projects like this) require a small ‘Fast Crew Vessel’ style ship to serve as a testbed and trials ship for the Royal Navy.

The vessel is expected to be transferred to the Royal Navy by the 31st of March 2022.

Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/royal-n ... D0LF9e0Udg
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

RAF cancells Project Mosquito by mutual agreement with industry following technical review.

A technology demonstrator to develop ‘loyal wingman’ uncrewed air vehicle for F-35 / Tempest. RN project VIXEN considering a carrier-based Mosquito derivative.

See - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/roya ... t-mosquito
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

'It was a pleasure' The Royal Navy trains alongside Japanese Navy off Dorset coast

See - https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/20234 ... set-coast/

Link from Tim.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”