General Naval Topics

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: General Naval Topics

Unread post by Pelican »

Thin Pinstriped Line - Objective analysis of defence and global security issues.

For recent articles see - https://thinpinstripedline.blogspot.com/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Today the MoD has announced the Tye 45 destroyers will be upgraded to intercept ballistic missiles. The destroyers will be the first European warships with a full sensor-shooter BMD intercept capability.

In 2016 France and Italy committed to developing the Aster 30 Block 1NT (New Technology) for their land-based SAMP-T ballistic missile defence (BMD). The Block 1NT missiles retain the same external form and compatibility with the Sylver VLS but have the ability to deal with both short and medium-range ballistic missiles (with an effective range of around 600km). The main addition is a new Ka-band radar seeker head for greater acquisition range and accuracy. There is also an Aster Block 2 in development to deal with intermediate-range missiles up to 3,000km.

Aster 30 will be evolved into a maritime variant to counter increasing threats posed by anti-ship ballistic missiles at sea although the exact range is not yet clear. Existing UK stocks of Aster missiles will be upgraded to Block 1 standard at the Munition Maintenance Installation Facility at Gosport. This involves new guidance software and electronics to enable the interception of ballistic missiles and a new dual AAW/BMD warhead to enhance the probability of Kill (pK) upon intercept. These BMD-capable missiles will differ slightly from the Franco-Italian Block 1NT variant.

Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/royal-navy- ... apability/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Combined Naval Event

For details see - https://www.bmt.org/events/n/6391/Combined-Naval-Event

Attached - Inaugural Combined Naval Event underway at Farnborough International Exhibition & Conference Centre.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy sailors get new uniform at the start of £78m clothing project

Royal Navy sailors are receiving a new uniform at the start of a £78m revamp of their clothing.
More than a thousand personnel on operations in hot climates now wear the new working uniform – designed to be cooler and more practical in the sweltering conditions they face.

The rest of the Royal Navy will be issued the uniform – known as Rig22 – by the end of 2023, but improvements will continually be made based on feedback from sailors as part of a ten-year £78m project.

The aim is to supply clothing that can withstand the rigours of life at sea and, at the same time, be more practical and better fitting than the uniform it replaces.
“We understand just how important having the right kit is,” said uniform project leader Georgina Davies.

“We really appreciate the complexities and emotional attachments people have to the uniform and that’s why the uniform improvement project is something I feel very passionately about.

“The team want to deliver the best uniform that we can and the project is the way we hope to achieve this.

“This is a continuously evolving project and we will no longer allow for any part of the uniform to stand still for decades without being reviewed.

“Uniform is not simple and getting it right is challenging and complex. But we are committed, and we will work hard to ensure that the money is spent where it really matters.”

A further £40m will go on replacing other elements, such as boots and belts, while a new Gore-Tex foul weather jacket and thermal layer will arrive this autumn.

“We have carried out thorough research and testing and this is the best uniform that industry can offer to meet our requirements,” said Warrant Officer 1st Class Lee ‘George’ Reeves.

“This is a major investment in our people. The new uniform is lightweight, more breathable, will fit more people better, and has lots of good features designed specifically for our sailors.”

The new clothing is made from flame-resistant Nomex – also used in the suits of F1 drivers, which allows the body to breathe.

Feedback from more than 7,000 personnel has been incorporated into the final design, with three different fabrics tested extensively by 130 sailors on warships in the Gulf at the height of summer, where temperatures can reach 55ºC.

More than a Uniform | A Short Film - See below.

The Royal Navy has launched a short feature video about what it means to wear the Royal Navy’s recognisable blue uniform.

As the rollout of the new clothing begins, navy videographers spent time with sailors from HMS Montrose on operations in the Gulf.

The video is designed to show how diverse the Royal Navy is, with people from various backgrounds and beliefs, who together in the blue rig, become one formidable team.

What is the new uniform like?

Sailors from HMS Montrose were among the first to test the new uniform and feed back to the team developing it.

The Type 23 frigate is deployed in the Gulf long-term, keeping sea lanes open and tackling drug smugglers.

It means the new clothing has been tested in some of the most rigorous conditions the Royal Navy faces.

Warrant Officer First Class Simon ‘Bagsy’ Baker said: “It is nice to wear straight out of the packet and feels light and airy. When compared with PCS (the old working uniform) it looks smarter.

“In the hot climate of the Gulf, it performs head and shoulders above PCS making any firefighting and emergency duties far more comfortable.

“Above all, the feedback received is being listened to and actioned to ensure that Rig22 is the best uniform yet.”

Engineering Technician Robert Forster, who is a Marine Engineer, said: “Although I don’t work in Rig 22 all of the time, I like the new rig, the lighter material is cooler and easier to maintain.

“The uniform is smart and looks very presentable. There are issues with sizing that need to be addressed particularly with the shirt being too tight under the arms.

“I like the rank slides being on the shoulders, as it makes it easier to identify ranks. I would like to see a Velcro patch on the arm to identify branches also.”

The project team have already responded to feedback and made some amendments to the uniform, including:

• Extra sizes of trousers and shirts.

• Repositioning of buttons for better collar fit.

• A loop on the shirt for hanging.

• Increased pleat size in the shirt for better movement under the arms.

• Velcro mounted White (for Royal Navy) or Blue (Royal Fleet Auxiliary) Ensign.

For video and photos see - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... ew-uniform
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

19 entries in competition to build National Flagship reduced to short list of 2.
Team Houlder design resembles modern motor-powered cruisers, with large parts in glass.
Harland Wolff plc a more classic design.
Winning design to be revealed mid June.

Modern and heritage designs battle it out to build HMY Britannia’s £250m replacement
Race to construct national flagship whittles down to two firms reflecting Britain’s maritime past and future, The Telegraph can reveal:
See - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-famil ... placement/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

May I respectfully call your attention to - http://lewin-of-greenwich-naval-history ... 902#p25902
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Atlantic Future Forum - AFF22

We are delighted to announce that in 5 months the fifth Atlantic Future Forum will convene government leaders, the armed forces & industry partners to explore the new dimensions of international security on HMS PWLS in New York in September.

For short video see - https://twitter.com/FutureAtlantic/stat ... 7344837632
For press realease pdf go to - https://t.co/uRHR8q3LGG
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

The UK carrier strike group is at high readiness now but has to balance readiness with time at sea.
Plan at present is HMS QNLZ will deploy with jets in the Autumn concurrently with HMS PWLS
going to U.S. for flying trials.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Should There Be a Jubilee Fleet Review?

This weekend the United Kingdom, British Overseas Territories and the Commonwealth Realms celebrate the 70th anniversary of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II becoming Sovereign. This is a milestone anniversary, the likes of which are unlikely to ever be seen again.

To mark the event the UK is spending a long weekend of public holidays to cover a variety of formal and informal events to mark the reign, and the many events that have occurred during it. Central to this will be the provision of State ceremonial functions, including the first Trooping the Colour ceremony in three years, and a flypast by the RAF and other services down the Mall towards Buckingham Palace.

There will be parades around the country involving military personnel, as well as Royal Navy ships in a variety of ports that will be open to visitors. There will though be no formal fleet review to mark the occasion. This decision has raised eyebrows, and concerns, in some quarters, and the suggestion that while the British Army and RAF are in the public eye, the Royal Navy is somewhat forgotten and missing out on an opportunity for both publicity, and to mark the occasion properly.

Continues at - https://thinpinstripedline.blogspot.com ... eview.html

Also - http://lewin-of-greenwich-naval-history ... 287#p25995
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Should There Be a Jubilee Fleet Review?

This weekend the United Kingdom, British Overseas Territories and the Commonwealth Realms celebrate the 70th anniversary of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II becoming Sovereign. This is a milestone anniversary, the likes of which are unlikely to ever be seen again.

To mark the event the UK is spending a long weekend of public holidays to cover a variety of formal and informal events to mark the reign, and the many events that have occurred during it. Central to this will be the provision of State ceremonial functions, including the first Trooping the Colour ceremony in three years, and a flypast by the RAF and other services down the Mall towards Buckingham Palace.

There will be parades around the country involving military personnel, as well as Royal Navy ships in a variety of ports that will be open to visitors. There will though be no formal fleet review to mark the occasion. This decision has raised eyebrows, and concerns, in some quarters, and the suggestion that while the British Army and RAF are in the public eye, the Royal Navy is somewhat forgotten and missing out on an opportunity for both publicity, and to mark the occasion properly.

Continues at - https://thinpinstripedline.blogspot.com ... eview.html

Also - http://lewin-of-greenwich-naval-history ... 287#p25995
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”