RN Cruisers: Tiger Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
oldsalt

Re: RN Cruisers: Tiger Class

Unread post by oldsalt »

Tiger's armament was two twin 6" turrets, one forr'd, one aft. three 3" twin turrets, one forr'd, blue turret, one port side red turret & one starboard side green turret. Was Blakes armamant different?
limeybiker

Unread post by limeybiker »

I came across this photograph on a RNZAF site of Tiger taken in 1960
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
Sunny Ocala, FL 34476 USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/[/b]
limeybiker

My office, the Naval Stores Office was under the forrard 3", a bit noisy on the days it was working.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
limeybiker

We had a good run ashore in Middlesborough, the N.A.D.S. became our home from home.
This photograph of me shoveling hops into the brewing vats was published in the local paper and they sent me a decent copy of it, pictured with me is Mick Fryer jack dusty, we are still in touch.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
limeybiker

Happy Birthday H.M.S. TIGER Launched John Browns "Bellerophon" was renamed Tiger in 1945, and was launched, partially constructed, on 25 October 1945. She was christened by Lady Stansgate, the wife of William Benn, Viscount Stansgate, the Secretary of State for Air.

I can't find any photos of the launch, does anyone have any.

Here is a rare one of her in Hull 1965. A fabulous run ashore.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

limeybiker wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:11 pm Happy Birthday H.M.S. TIGER Launched John Browns "Bellerophon" was renamed Tiger in 1945, and was launched, partially constructed, on 25 October 1945. She was christened by Lady Stansgate, the wife of William Benn, Viscount Stansgate, the Secretary of State for Air.

I can't find any photos of the launch, does anyone have any.

Here is a rare one of her in Hull 1965. A fabulous run ashore.
None of her launch but this one is of her fitting at at John Browns shipyard with Vanguard

Jim

HMS Vanguard and HMS Tiger.jpg
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Here is the LION fitting out in 1960...........lot$a money, poor results given the massive problems with both the 6" and 3"....... :( Howver, in 1960 the TIGER did manage to fire off 25 rounds; was that ever duplicated??? DFO
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

I was in Tiger during the visit to Hull, great time, especially the ball they put on.
limeybiker

My elder brother Dennis's friends semi professional boxers were bouncers on the door at the City Hall Ship's Ball, We met two lovely ladies on the bus, remember, we had freedom of the city buses were free, I tried to take them in to the Ball, Alan said to me, "Barry there are more ladies in there, than you can shake a stick at". What a night that was.
All the RA's had gone South to their homes, there must have been three ladies to every Matelot.
Fortunately the City had laid on double decker buses to get us back to the ship, it was three miles from the dockyard gate to the ship.
We visited my dad's Manor Road Working Men's Club, we weren't allowed to spend any money.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
limeybiker

Jack Dustys and Scribes Mess HMS Tiger 1965, en route to Bermuda unfortunately the camera double exposed.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”