F35B Airwing

Add your posts about the Naval Aircraft in this section
Pelican

Re: F35B Airwing

Unread post by Pelican »

Image of salvaged British F-35 jet leaked

An image has been shared online showing a British F-35B after it was recovered from the seafloor.

See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/image-o ... 11oZGe_R5c
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

British Navy uses giant bowl of rice to repair F-35 that crashed into Mediterranean

See - https://www.duffelblog.com/p/raf-prepar ... of-rice-to
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Another F-35 to recover from the sea bed ... this time in the South China Sea.

USNI reports a F-35C that suffered landing accident on board USS Carl Vinson fell overboard. Pilot ejected safely, 7 sailors on deck injured.

See - https://news.usni.org/2022/01/25/crashe ... -china-sea

[Note that the above refers to a C not a B - different kettle of fish and the variety of opinions in the 'comments' below the contents of the link]
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The F-35C's Radar-Absorbent Skin Is Looking Pretty Rough After Months At Sea

F-35Cs have become covered in rusty-looking deposits on their first operational carrier cruise.

USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) Conducts Flight Operations in the South China Sea
The U.S. Navy’s F-35C stealth fighters, one of which has recently grabbed unwanted attention after a landing mishap aboard the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson sent it into the sea, are also showing some fairly significant wear and tear on their debut operational cruise. Radar-absorbent skins are historically made of materials that are notoriously sensitive to environmental conditions. While it is known that significant leaps in the maintainability of radar-absorbent materials (RAM) were integrated into the F-35 design, recent images from the F-35C's inaugural cruise raise potential questions about the ease of maintaining the jet's coatings in the demanding maritime environment.

Continues at - https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... ths-at-sea

[Altho the above refers to the C I understand that the skins and coatings of all three versions are basically the same. No doubt we will learn more in due course.]
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pentagon completes first phase in replacing troubled F-35 logistics system

The U.S. Defense Department has finished fielding the first batch of new logistics systems for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, replacing an older, flawed system that has caused program headaches for years.
In a release Monday, the F-35 Joint Program Office said the first 14 sets of the new Operational Data Integrated Network, or ODIN, logistics information system finished their rollout to F-35 squadrons in January.

See - https://www.defensenews.com/air/2022/01 ... cs-system/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

More F-35B jets being delivered to the UK

Three more F-35B aircraft are being delivered to the UK, bringing the fleet to 25 aircraft.
The aircraft are being flown from Texas to RAF Marham (via MCAS Beaufort) and assisted in crossing the Atlantic by a Voyager tanker.

Three more jets will arrive later in 2022 and seven more will arrive in 2023 with an expectation that all of the 47 in the first batch will be delivered by the end of 2025. Note that it would have been 48 if one didn’t crash.

The then First Sea Lord said during a webcast last year that the UK intends to purchase ‘around 60’ F-35B jets and then ‘maybe more up to around 80’ for four deployable squadrons. The total of 80 is welcome news given the speculation the buy could be capped at 48.

A defence insider informed the UK Defence Journal of a live webcast given today by the First Sea Lord.
“The First Sea Lord has just said 60 F-35, then maybe more up to around 80 for 4 deployable squadrons.”

According to the recently released Defence Command Paper titled ‘Defence in a Competitive Age’, the UK intends to increase the fleet size beyond the 48 F-35 aircraft it has already ordered. You can read more about that by clicking here or clicking the link below.

Since the delivery of the first jet in 2012, the United Kingdom F-35 programme has expanded tremendously. Recently, the UK fleet reached a new milestone, when it crossed the threshold of 10,000 flight hours. This milestone has been nearly 10 years in the making.

Source UKDJ
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Delay ‘likely’ in fitting air to surface missile to F-35

The Ministry of Defence has published its tenth annual summary of the defence equipment plan.
According to a statement:

See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/delay-l ... P5OA_C8GCc
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Missile manufacturer owned by BAE Systems, Airbus and Leonardo to create 600 UK jobs

The business designs and manufactures products used by Britain's Armed Forces
A global missile manufacturer is planning to hire hundreds of people across its UK operations in the coming year.

MBDA, which has UK bases in Bristol, Bolton and Stevenage, is a joint venture between Airbus (37.5%), BAE Systems (37.5%) and Leonardo (25%). It has more than 12.000 employees working across France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the US and UK.

The business designs and manufactures products used by Britain's Armed Forces. Last year, it won a £550m Ministry of Defence (MoD) contract to develop an air-to-ground strike weapon for the UK F-35 combat aircraft.

According to MBDA, many of the jobs on offer will be engineering roles including mechanical, electrical, systems, design, and software engineering positions. The firm said the majority of its software developers will be working on site in Bristol.

But there will also be roles in customer support and services, procurement, commercial, sales and business development, manufacturing and production, governance and audit, quality and assurance, information management/technology and project/programme management.

Debbie Cole, Head of Resourcing UK at MBDA, said it was "strongly encouraging" applications from people from diverse backgrounds.

"2022 is already proving to be a huge year for us at MBDA and we need people with a passion for innovation to help us achieve ambitious targets," she said.

"We’re growing our delivery capabilities to ensure we meet growing demand for our existing products, in addition to the new technologies that have yet to be released.”

In February, MBDA was ranked top of the UK’s Best Big Companies to Work For league table (formerly the Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For). This follows MBDA being the only defence company to make the Top 50 Best Places to Work 2022 in January (Glassdoor Employees’ Choice Awards).

In December, the company also received Gold awards on all three accreditation standards from the Investors in People organisation. The accreditations for ‘We invest in apprentices’ and ‘We invest in wellbeing’ were firsts for the firm, it said.In February, MBDA was ranked top of the UK’s Best Big Companies to Work For league table (formerly the Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For). This follows MBDA being the only defence company to make the Top 50 Best Places to Work 2022 in January (Glassdoor Employees’ Choice Awards).

In December, the company also received Gold awards on all three accreditation standards from the Investors in People organisation. The accreditations for ‘We invest in apprentices’ and ‘We invest in wellbeing’ were firsts for the firm, it said.

Source - Business Live.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

3 more F-35Bs delivered to RAF Marham yesterday UK now has 25 aircraft (1 lost during CSG21) 3 remain in US for test and evaluation purposes.

https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 7104867330
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Israeli F-35s shot down two drones; first confirmed air-to-air kills for JSF

Two Iranian-made drones were shot down by two F-35 fighters last year, Israel revealed today.
See - https://breakingdefense.com/2022/03/isr ... KOKwca_Tjw
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Aircraft and Aircraft Squadrons of the Fleets”