HMS Juffair - Bahrain Naval Base

Use this section for Naval Shore Bases overseas
jbryce1437

Re: HMS Juffair - Bahrain Naval Base

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Same happened to me when I tried PREVIEW first. When I pressed SUBMIT instead of previewing the post, all went well. I will report the problem to Jack, but something to bear in mind in the meantime if you are posting more than one image in a post.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

jbryce1437 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:13 pm Same happened to me when I tried PREVIEW first. When I pressed SUBMIT instead of previewing the post, all went well. I will report the problem to Jack, but something to bear in mind in the meantime if you are posting more than one image in a post.

Jim
VMT Jim, was not dripping, just wanted clarification which you have kindly provided.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

BRITISH FORCES IN BAHRAIN HONOUR LAST WISH OF SAILOR’S WIDOW
03 April 2021
British personnel in Bahrain carried out the last wish of a sailor’s widow – 65 years to the day the couple were married.

June Daniels always wanted, but never managed to visit the grave of Able Seaman Joseph Sullivan, killed in a road crash in the Gulf kingdom in December 1957 after just 21 months of marriage.

June subsequently remarried, had two children and five grandchildren, living a full life in Walton-on-Thames in Surrey until her passing in February aged 82 – but it was also tinged with sadness at the loss of her first husband.

Even in her final days her family say she was still able to look at a photograph and say, “that’s my Joe”.

Continues with photos at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... n-memorial
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Minehunters fine-tuned for Gulf operations

Two Royal Navy minehunters and their 90 sailors are being fine-tuned for Gulf security missions on their 6,000-mile journey to their new base in Bahrain.
HMS Bangor and HMS Middleton are sailing together to the Gulf to continue 15 years of continuous deployments of Royal Navy Mine Counter Measures Vessels in the region, where they will work with allies and partners to keep sea lanes open, hone mine warfare skills and generally promote peace and stability.

The pair, which carry on board new cutting-edge kit for their missions, will take over from HMS Brocklesby and HMS Shoreham after their three-year stint on operations.

See - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... leton-gulf
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

UK minehunters continue to push tech boundaries with US in the Gulf

Minehunter crews in the Gulf have been pushing the tech boundaries and honing skills with American allies in the latest combined Anglo-American workout.
The two navies hold regular joint exercises to ensure there’s no ‘skills fade’ in the delicate art of finding and neutralizing mines – especially as crews and ships regularly rotate through the region, so there’s a high degree of churn.

For the latest “interop” exercise, HMS Chiddingfold, Middleton and Penzance plus RFA Lyme Bay, their command ship and home to the RN’s Mine Warfare Battle Staff, joined American minehunter USS Gladiator and giant MH-53E Sea Dragon helicopters – which drag minesweeping kit through the Gulf waters – for eight days of trials and test.

The RN vessels were joined by members of the US Navy’s Expeditionary Mine Countermeasures Company, who bring autonomous systems to the panoply of existing mine warfare sensors, systems and kit.

That resulted in HMS Penzance becoming the first Sandown-class vessel to put a REMUS 600 vehicle through its paces.

REMUS has been used by the Navy for several years – but traditionally it’s launched from smaller craft. The device, which looks like a torpedo, moves through the water at speeds of up to five knots, scanning the seabed with sonar on ‘patrols’ up to three days long. In doing so, it surveys a huge area and, crucially, ensures the ship itself doesn’t have to venture anywhere near the suspected minefield.

Continues at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... n-the-gulf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

How many Royal Navy personnel does it take to keep the Gulf free of mines and open for trade?
Two hundred and sixteen (yes, we counted them all…).
To celebrate the arrival of Her Majesty’s Ships Bangor and Middleton after their 7,500-mile journey from the UK, those Royal Navy personnel dedicated to keeping the Gulf region free from mines gathered on the jetty at the UK Naval Support Facility in Bahrain alongside their ships.
Bangor and Middleton’s sailors joined fellow crews from HMS Chiddingfold and Penzance which are well-established in the Gulf kingdom and the Mine Warfare Battle Staff who choreograph and oversee the day-to-day actions of the four vessels from mother ship RFA Lyme Bay.
Actually, the number of folk dedicated to mine warfare operations is around the 300 mark (most of Lyme Bay’s crew aren’t present for this shot).
And they’re just the tip of the spear: there’s the engineering team in the NSF who provide additional support to the ships. And the logisticians who ensure the spare parts are available. And the staff of the UK Maritime Component Command who direct all RN operations in the Middle East. And the soldiers who provide force protection for the base. And the RAF personnel who run the air link for personnel and parts back to the UK. And the folk back in the UK responsible for meeting the longer-term requirements of the ships – the MCM Squadrons in Faslane and Portsmouth. And, well, you get the picture.

More photos at - https://www.facebook.com/royalnavy/phot ... 245093205/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Bahrain-based personnel find perfect formula for fundraising in charity cycle around Grand Prix track

For Verstappen and Hamilton, read Cox and Ahlgren as Bahrain’s Grand Prix circuit hosted raw power rather than roar power.

The international circuit – home of the Formula 1 showdown every spring – hosted sailors, soldiers and airmen from the UK base in the kingdom, one of two venues chosen for a cycling ‘Le Mans’.

Personnel pedalled around the 5.4km-long circuit or the much smaller UK’s Naval Support Facility Bahrain (a circuit is under one kilometre) in 24 one-hour slots to raise money for SSAFA, the Armed Forces charity, and the Bahrain Society for Children with Behavioural and Communication Difficulties.

Continues, including photos, at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... prix-track
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Chiddingfold and HMS Bangor will be based in Doha and conduct patrols of the waters around 🇶🇦Qatar during the football World Cup 2022 looking for mines, IEDs and suspicious vessels.

RFA Cardigan Bay, will act as command ship throughout the tournament.

Photos at - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 78/photo/1

Also see - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... 84qsuRQsbM
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Overseas Shore Bases - Royal Navy”