Chatham Dockyard

Post here about the Dockyard and its Exhibits
ivorthediver

Chatham Dockyard

Unread post by ivorthediver »

This ex naval workshop and fitting out dockyard was all but gone when I visited it and it seemed such a shame that this barracks / workshops / rope works was not left as a preserved item rather than the piecemeal exhibit it now is .

Don't get me wrong it has plenty still to see but the massive ship conversion site is but a shadow of its former self , and I would love to have seen it in a more complete state than it now is .

I have viewed small sections of its former self and heard many tales of what it was like in a former life , but the fragmented nature of it detracts from its former glory as I understand it .

If anyone out there with a kindly disposition has any photos of what was once a thriving naval depot I would dearly love to see them PLEASE.

Its the sections betwixt the [spar pool ? ] and the rope works I refer to and the now silted up quayside .

Yes I know it has lots to offer , as my previous 2 visits have confirmed to me but that is a mere shadow of its former self .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

Re: Chatham Dockyard

I dont know if you ever visit here David...... :idea: but any more news on the INVINCIBLE, David please let us know , would be great to here how they are getting on with the Wreck Dive .... :)
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

UPDATE - Worth a scroll thru, even just for the images ~ https://mailchi.mp/4aa5df499398/dockyar ... 4a30e7bf0d
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Model of H.M.S. Victory on display in the dockyard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

love to be able to convert that to R/C and set it in the water
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Historic Dockyard Chatham

2024 is shaping up to be a very BIG year for us here at The Historic Dockyard Chatham.
From events including Medway Gaming Festival and Salute to the '40s; to exhibitions like RNLI 200: The Exhibition and Ralph STEADman: INKling; through to big celebrations of HMS CAVALIER turning 80 and The Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust's 40th anniversary.
Read the 40 Things To See and Do blog on our website for the full list: https://thedockyard.co.uk/40-things-to- ... OHAkKhj81o
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

40th anniversary of Royal Navy leaving Chatham Dockyard

For centuries it was the thriving heart of north Kent – a massive dockyard employing generations of skilled workers.

But 40 years ago this weekend, it all came to a sad end when the Royal Navy said farewell to Chatham. But as one chapter closed, another one opened…

Continues https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/new ... -o-304119/

[ All Dockyards https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Navy_Dockyard ]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chatham Historic Dockyard”