Devonport Cold War Centre (CWC)

Make your posts relating to the Cold War and Maritime Museum in this section
Pelican

Devonport Cold War Centre (CWC)

Unread post by Pelican »

Cold War and Maritime Heritage Museum in Plymouth

UPADTE on the plan for Cold War Centre(CWC) heritage museum at Devonport.
Following the successful fund raising effort of 2020, the Project Team considered 19 possible options but identified a two phase approach as the best solution.
Earlier article: https://www.navylookout.com/can-plymout ... wfFezBBudA
The existing Devonport Heritage Centre building will be re-opened (and after dry docking) HMS Courageous will host visitors again in 3 basin.
Visitor experience to be improved with better booking process, access, transport and security while developing a modern ‘digital footprint’ to market the attraction.
Meanwhile development work would begin on the CWC to be located at Bonaventure House with HMS Courageous close by on permanent display at 1 Dock. (South Yard). This phased approach will help establish proof of concept and deliver a digital component of the CWC.
The good news is that it maybe possible for Courageous to move to 1 Dock within 3-4 years instead of the 10+ years previously though needed to wait for the full nuclear de-fuelling process.
The CWC Project Team will now work to establish rough order of magnitude costs for preparing 1 Dock to accept Courageous. They hope to make a presentation to The National Museum of the Royal Navy in October to encourage them to include the project within its strategic programme.

More photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/NavyLookout/ph ... 194856457/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
DaveH

Re: Devonport Cold War Centre (CWC)

Unread post by DaveH »

It should be a big draw when it is finished Dave . Once this COVID business fully relaxes I may be able to talk our Ganges Division into organising a tour . I don't think many of us have been aboard a Nuke . The old museum was good but needed updating badly .
Pelican

Re: Devonport Cold War Centre (CWC)

Unread post by Pelican »

Cold War Centre Update

The Cold War Centre Project Team regrets to announce that the ambition to create a Cold War Centre, with HMS COURAGEOUS a decommissioned nuclear-powered submarine, at its heart cannot be delivered in the immediate future.

Continues at - https://submarinefamily.uk/news/cold-war-centre-update/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Devonport Cold War and Maritime Heritage Museum”