Slip and Proceed

Have a look at some of the masterpieces created by Jim Rae
Vegaskip

Slip and Proceed

Unread post by Vegaskip »

Fairmile Long Range Rescue Launch
W/C 14” X10”
0AB575D8-F52B-4C23-801E-BDF95EBD12A1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timlewin

Re: Slip and Proceed

Unread post by timlewin »

a fine picture Jim, they also serve?

Let me take this opportunity to tell everyone that following a recent ministerial visit to Russia there is a surge of official interest in the Arctic Campaign, the Kola run to North Russia. Possibly this reflects the absence of other common ground but as you know, and many of the rest of us, there is no substitute for the friendship of shared history.
Next year will see the 80th anniversary of the safe arrival of the very first convoy to Russia, Operation Dervish (supported by operation Benedict, a squadron of Hurricanes flown in from HMS Argus). Dervish was a 12 ship convoy from Liverpool that arrived on 31st August 1941. It carried a variety of urgent military supplies but principally 500 men and Hurricane aircraft of Wing 151, a scratch unit made up specially for the support of Russia. For the 75th anniversary Jim went, and several other veterans including Tim Elkington, one of the last of the young pilots to fly in from Argus. To support this event, attended formally by Princess Anne and Admiral Lawrence, we produced a book of Jim's paintings. these were counter-pointed with quotations, words, taken direct from those who were there in the time that counted. This book is now a collectors item but not to waste Jim's outstanding talent I spent some of my Covid downtime putting it to the internet through Vimeo adding appropriate music, the first piece is a direct tribute to those brave aviators of 151.
https://vimeo.com/430886147

posted before but deserves a repeat, this has just been circulated to the FCO, MoD, RNA and a host of other official bodies who with this level of insight will turn to and help create the new celebration. You up for this one Jim??
Vegaskip

Most certainly Tim. As a matter of interest we are being visited this morning by Keith Allen ex Consul General at SPB ( now High Commissioner in Mauritius) I have a couple of painting for a project he is doing 'over there' I will pass on your regards. Is Victor Konusov still involved with the veterans, now the Consul is closed?
Jim
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

Not sure Jim, I will check. I knew Keith was coming to Scotland, we were in touch a week or so ago. I will get a new job next summer but doesnt know where yet!

I will check Viktor
Vegaskip

We had a quick 15 Minute catch up chat outside the back door. Kieth said as far as he knew the Consulate is still closed. Victor has retired from the navy, this was due any way and nothing to do with the Closure.
Jim
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Jims Paintings”