Heart of Oak, Rule Brittannia and Others

Sing your hear out
Pelican

Heart of Oak, Rule Brittannia and Others

Unread post by Pelican »

HEART OF OAK - RULE BRITANNIA

Here is something you are unlikely to learn via the BBC.
In the 17th century the seas around Britain were ruled by North African Muslim Slavers. They stopped British ships and carried off the crews to be sold as slaves in Algiers and Tripoli.
The situation became so bad that fishermen from Devon and Cornwall wouldn’t put out to sea in case they were captured by North African Slave Traders.
Between 1609 and 1616, 466 British ships were captured by Slave Traders in the English Channel, Irish Sea and North Atlantic, and the crews were sold into slavery.
In 1625 a raiding party landed at Mount’s Bay in Cornwall and 60 people who had taken refuge in a local church were dragged out, loaded up and taken off to Africa to be sold as slaves.
On 12 August 1625 the Mayor of Plymouth wrote to London for military help after 27 ships had been seized by North African Muslim Slave Traders in just 10 days. In 1645, 240 people were seized as slaves in Cornwall.
The situation only began to change after the end of the English Civil War when the Royal Navy was built up under Oliver Cromwell. By 1700, North African Slavers generally knew better than to bother the British Isles in the search for slaves because of the Royal Navy.
It was a triumph that Britain was finally able to control its own coastal waters. And it was in commemoration of this that in 1740, James Thompson wrote ‘Rule Britannia’. It is a hymn of thanksgiving rather than a proclamation of aggressive Nationalism.
Would appear to be true?
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Re: Heart of Oak, Rule Brittannia and Others

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Dangerous waters their David , in current waters of political sympathy , but remember White lives matter to :(
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Re: Heart of Oak, Rule Brittannia and Others

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy Singers (1938)

View at - <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io0pegiMVtg>

[From Mike Starkey]
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Naval songs and sea shanties”