RN Destroyers: Type 45 Daring Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Little h

Re: Royal Navy Destroyers: Daring Class Type 45

Unread post by Little h »

Westlant 19; an unusual pierhead jump or was it simply crossdecking!!

Royal Navy: HMS Queen Elizabeth's aircraft controller praised for helping to protect £1bn Type 45 destroyer

A NAVAL aircraft controller has been hailed for his efforts helping to protect a £1bn destroyer while on deployment with HMS Queen Elizabeth.

By Tom Cotterill
Thursday, 30th July 2020, 8:52 pm

Leading Aircraft Controller (LAC) Jack Stait came to the aid of HMS Dragon after the ship unexpectedly lost its only aircraft controller.

The 25-year-old, who had been serving on HMS Queen Elizabeth during her deployment to American last year, took on the mantle.

And his efforts have since earned him the first ever Royal Navy Air Traffic Management Commodore’s Cup.
b25lY21zOmM3MDE2OWJlLWUzZDAtNGE0NS05YjE0LTgwZTI3MTAzZTc2ZTpmMzNjMzNhOC1iNjcxLTRiNDctYjE1YS03OTczYmMwNWU4Y2Y=.jpg

Leading Aircraft Controller Jack Stait, 25, is presented with the first ever Royal Navy Air Traffic Management Commodore’s Cup, from the commandingoOfficer of HMS Collingwood, Captain Catherine Jordan at the base's wardroom. Photo: Keith Woodland/Royal Navy

The sailor, who grew up in Portsmouth but now lives in Barnham, West Sussex, picked up the prize during an event at HMS Collingwood in Fareham.

His citation read: ‘Early into the Westlant 19 strike group deployment HMS Dragon suffered a loss of aircraft control capability when their sole controller was returned to the UK

‘LAC Stait, who was HMS Queen Elizabeth’s only AC at the time, was loaned with only 24 hours’ notice.

‘He embarked in the unfamiliar Type 45, and wasted no time in integrating into the operations team onboard, demonstrating outstanding flexibility and resilience.

‘He transferred his considerable carrier aviation knowledge into his new temporary platform and consistently advised his command on wider aviation operations being conducted within the strike group.

‘His positive attitude, proactive character and high professional standards saw him adopt the additional aviation tasks and responsibilities usually owned by permanent ship’s company, and not normally tackled by augmentees.

‘LAC Stait’s flexibility, his selfless contribution and commitment ensured that HMS Dragon continued to operate with full aviation capability throughout Westlant 19.’

Jack, who joined the navy in 2015, is now serving as an air control instructor at HMS Collingwood.

Speaking of receiving his award, he said: ‘I was surprised to say the least when the commanding officer rang me whilst I was at home to tell me about the award. It is satisfying for myself that the work was just acknowledged.’

Source; The News

A BZ to said Leading Hand - currently an air control instructor at HMS Collingwood.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Pelican

Re: RN Destroyers: Daring Class Type 45

Unread post by Pelican »

Savetheroyalnavy.org

Sea Viper missile being loaded into VLS cell of HMS Dragon at UHAF, Portsmouth.
Photo: S. Wenham
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

British warship enters Black Sea despite Russian warnings

HMS Dragon, a Type 45 Destroyer, has entered the Black Sea despite Russian warnings that it is ‘tracking the movements of the British warship’.

Continues at:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/british ... -warnings/

[Link from Tim]
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Savetheroyalnavy.org

HMS Dragon arrived in Odessa yesterday for diplomatic visit - part of an ongoing RN presence on the Black Sea and package of support for Ukraine.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Re: Royal Navy Destroyers: Daring Class Type 45

Unread post by Pelican »

DRAGON
HMS Dragon has spent a week in Odesa working with the Ukrainian Navy, forging close ties with the host country's armed forces.
The destroyer took part in joint manoeuvres at sea, hosted damage-control and life-saving demonstrations, conducted board and search training with Ukrainian marines, and remembered Odessa's World War 2 dead.

For photos see:
https://www.facebook.com/royalnavy/phot ... 9016308205
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Improving the Type 45 Destroyer

The purpose of this article is not to examine yet again the much discussed propulsion problems of the Type 45 but rather to consider how the type can remain relevant in the face of significant threats posed by advanced aircraft and missiles.

Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/improvi ... destroyer/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”