Electrical Engineering

Post anything relating to Electrical Engineering on this thread
jbryce1437

Electrical Engineering

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

I was drafted to HMS Collingwood twice during my career in the Royal Navy. The first time was for Part 2 training after passing out from HMS Raleigh in the autumn of 1963. My first Division was Faraday Division and we lived in wooden huts at the south east corner of the parade ground. At that time the parade ground was the largest in Europe and I did several circuits of it as punishment, sometimes with a .303 rifle above my head.
Duties there included working in the Dining Hall, washing plates and cups - fortunately in a large dish washing machine. Another duty was Internal Security Patrol, where you were required to sleep, fully dressed with boots and gaiters on and with your wooden axe handle and tin helmet at your bedside. We did security patrols of the "Out of Bounds" areas, such as "The White City", checking doors and windows of all buildings. With some sensitive equipment being housed in some of the buildings, security was tight. I can recall that on one of my duties I was locked inside a building which housed newly developed radar equipment, and was let out again next morning. The building had metal bars over all of the windows and doors and it crossed my mind what would happen if a fire broke out while I was locked in and I formed the opinion that I was expendable ;)
After a short time, I moved to Lodge Division and we had our own little NAAFI canteen, complete with pinball table. We soon found that if you placed a couple of NAAFI ashrays under the front legs of the pinball machine that it clocked up credits and you could play on it for hours.

Preparation for rounds in Lodge Division

jem2 bryce john reay hms collingwood 1963.jpg

The leading hand of our small mess, of around a dozen people, was LEM Terry Harwood. Terry lived not far from me in the North East and he was on his killicks course. Our paths crossed again later, the first after I was drafted to HMS Ark Royal in February 1964 and Terry was also drafted to her when he finished his killicks course. The next time that I "bumped" into him was after I had left the navy and I was serving with the Fire Brigade in Sunderland. I was on loan with the turntable ladder to a different station to the one I was posted to and was having lunch on the top floor. We received a call to a fire and I ran over to the firemans pole and slid down two floors to the appliance room. As I stepped off the mat at the bottom I got tangled with someone standing there. It was Terry Harwood and he had come to the station to fix the floor scrubbing machine. Fortunately, the call wasn't for my appliance, so I had a chance to talk to him about old times.
After serving on the Ark 1964-67 and passing my exams for killick, I was drafted back to Collingwood in the summer of 1967. Before the course commenced, the whole class was commandeered, along with others from other Portsmouth shore bases, to act as Street Lining Party for the state visit of King Faisal of Saudi Arabia. We practiced lining the main drive and across the parade ground, in preparation to lining the streets of London beside the Tate Art Gallery. As it turned out, I ended up sitting in the back of a covered lorry, just off Albert Embankment, with piles of raincoats, which would have to be dished out if it started to rain. It never did, so I ended up doing all of the training for nothing.
I was still an able rate, and Under Age for the tot, when I started the course, but I qualified for a tot near the end and I was promoted to killick shortly afterwards. At the end of my killicks course I spent six weeks training as an Electrical Officers Writer and did three weeks of Admin training at Collingwood and three weeks in Semaphore Tower, in Portsmouth Dockyard where a Chief Petty Officer Writer taught us to touch-type.
I finished my killicks course with Mechanicians marks of 70%, but I would have had to sign on to undertake the two year course, even though I still had around 7 years before my engagement expired and could have fitted it in comfortably.

Killicks course in Armada Block

oem1-bryce-collingwood-killicks-course-a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Re: Electrical Engineering

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Yes one often thinks that our paths are mapped out long before we breach , but are allowed a couple of choices just to prove how wrong we can make them eh Jim :)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

The new propulsion systems ie Diesel/ Gas Turbine/ motors are they similar to the system we had in the Survey Ship Hecla ?
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Ohm's law:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Not seen that one before Jim , thanks for posting it ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

OHMS law and every other electrical equation was etched or written in biro into every desk in the instructional classroomw at HMS Collingwood - very handy reference source when taking exams :-)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Electrical Engineering”