Royal Naval College Greenwich and Museum

Post here about Greenwich Royal Naval College and its Exhibits
ivorthediver

Royal Naval College Greenwich and Museum

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Forword
As mentioned it was my intention to visit Greenwich and explore the many historic items on display here , and during some posts it appeared that quite a few other members had not visited here either .
Whilst not setting myself up as an expert in any area of Naval history we chose to come here having spoken to perhaps our closest friend( who also was kind enough to start this Forum ) along with others who has a very broad and deep understanding of Naval history and knew my wife’s father very well whilst assisting Tim with a legacy passed on to him from his sadly missed father to whom the Forum is dedicated.

I will attempt to cover the basic details of these on separate threads and hope that other members will contribute by adding their own pictures to each of the separate threads to minimise the chance of going off topic

These will be :-

The Cutty Sark
The National Maritime Naval Musium
The Naval Chapal
The Old Royal Naval College
The Painted Hall
The Royal Observatory

As luck would have it the scaffolding put up to allow access to the ceiling of the Painted hall is coming down at the end of this month so we had unique access to the ceiling during our brief visit there which is not usually available

No flash is allowed so some of the pictures in that area will be darker than wished but that is outside of my control

Unlike most Museums nowadays these collection’s of historic artefacts has benefited hugely and the Museum is Expanding NOT closing ......thanks to the National lottery.... and the the British public’s generosity

Once Home I will attempt to down load what I have managed to take and enhance the pictures on the trusty iMac

I Can not stress the importance of trying to visit ALL these exhibitions yourself and experience it first hand ...this is only a glimpse of this wonderful BRITISH History example to savour

So let’s start off with The Cutty Sark Tea Clipper
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

Re: Royal Naval College Greenwich and Museum

I have included a section of a plan to aid anyone visiting Greenwich Museum.

A full size version of this free of charge in any of the museums at Greenwich .

If you walk away to the left of the cut Sark the the first building would be the OLD NAVAL COLLEGE which includes the very respectable: " Ram" Bar and Restaurant which provides very reasonably priced meals and refreshments , which we visited every day of our visit

As you enter this area you will pass through "The LEWIN GATE'S" to the area shown and the bill of Fair as a guide .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Lovely photos Ivor, pleased you have lovely weather to look around, it makes all the difference.

JIm
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Thank you Jim , yes it certainly was kind to us , despite the physical effort put in and the physical discomfort , the rewards were worth the effort .....well to us anyway ....a labour of love .

So here are dedications to those who made history .....our History ......and preserved our naval integrity so that we could benefit from it .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

And more of our forebears , honoured on this parapet .......
ivorthediver

and in conclusion some we may have met in the course of our lives
ivorthediver

The vast collection of exhibits , memorabilia , models and artefacts are housed within display cases for both protection and security and more importantly preservation , which don't lend themselves to photography and should flash be allowed even then the flareback sometimes detracts from the print obtained

In most cases these do not represent very good images , but with patience , and some basic editing skills it is possible to obtain a reasonable image ..........but with my limited skills and knowledge I am sure better results could be obtained with assistance from the Museum and should that be forthcoming perfect results for the discerning eye are possible I'm sure.
From memory the engine shown is an Eagle Engine but I must admit that without a nameplate to describe it I'm at a loss
unless some of you know and can help us please

Here is an assortment of some of the better images :-
ivorthediver

These don't really do some of the colours of the exhibits justice which were vibrant .....like these ships "Figure heads" and Plaque's for instance and as luck would have it a cloud decided to mask the skylight above all of which muted the colours still further ..........such is life and ones best endeavours with nature :(.......but a least it indicates their true beauty to those who are waiting to visit and heightens the expectations somewhat
ivorthediver

Another point worthy of mention if in your September years you like me have limited abilities , their are loads of chairs to rest on whilst on your marathon and lifts to help you get to the floors above , loads of toilets and restaurants to have a break when things get to much to take ..........let alone if, like my dear wife, your being driven endlessly to see as much as you are able to gain access to with .....Joe public rushing around with their entourage of screaming children .....all credit to her, I couldn't have done it without her :roll:

Here are a few more before I call it a day .....
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

ivorthediver wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:33 pm
From memory the engine shown is an Eagle Engine but I must admit that without a nameplate to describe it I'm at a loss
unless some of you know and can help us please.........
Ivor,

Apparently the engine is a Napier Lion VII D Aero engine (supercharged),the type that powered the Miss Brittain III powerboat, see the following excerpt:-

Miss Britain III was designed, built and driven by Hubert Scott-Paine, a noted pioneer of flying boats and fast naval attack craft. The stepped hydroplane hull was constructed using alcad aluminium sheet over an aluminium and wooden frame. She was powered by a Napier 'Lion' series VII B engine; the aero version was the world air-speed record holder. In 1933, Miss Britain III was narrowly beaten in the Harmsworth Trophy. However, in that same year she was the first boat to pass the 100 mph (161 km/h) mark on salt water in the Solent.
Read more at Royal Museums Greenwich Collections

Sorry about earlier link to the engine that has now been rectified and the link is to Miss Britain III from whence the excerpt was taken. :oops:
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Greenwich Royal Naval College and Museum”