The Cutty Sark Tea Clipper Greenwich

Post here about Greenwich Royal Naval College and its Exhibits
ivorthediver

The Cutty Sark Tea Clipper Greenwich

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Ok lets start the ball rolling with what many see as the most popular item to be seen at Greenwich .

I had always wanted to view this historic vessel and have only just realised that dream this last weekend .

Like most children of my era I had made the Airfix kit and ruined it with overpaint and glue marks only to see others far more able attempt and been disappointed at my own short comings .

So here is the real thing to view .......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

Re: The Cutty Sark Tea Clipper Greenwich .

Before we move to some more of the Cutty Sark let me apologise for the picture orientation which when posted by me were correct but on posting seem to go in any direction they chose , but I have let our man at the helm know ......

So onward and upward ....literally...

Speaking on a personal level I was delighted in the viewing above decks but disappointed below decks where it resembled a theme park for 4 year olds and relayed nothing of the ships life , unlike the Victory does , and whilst the viewing of the Hull was pleasing the hoards of uncontrolled children on the rampage detracted from the whole thing . :(

Still these hoards no doubt contributed to the financing of the Vessel .but of the two the "Victory" won hands down
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

in fairness the inside of the Cargo holds was stacked with effigies of tea chests but in my opinion could have been made so much better .....but as I said thats only my opinion ....here are what was worth looking at inside
ivorthediver

For the likes of our artists amongst us,... here are some better shots from the deck level which give that inboard detail so often omitted on plans of models when viewed . :)
ivorthediver

From the point of view where by you can get the feel of these types of vessel and take in the enormity of handling a vessel of this scale this is well worth the visit .

The amount of ongoing work and dedication of the people involved in the up keep of this treasure can only be applauded , and long may it be so .

There is no comparison , other than being at the right time in the right place where you can see these beautiful ships ply their trade or watch the remaining vessels of sail in the Tall Ships race that can give you an appreciation of these magnificent vessels . over to you and let me know what you think of your visit please
ivorthediver

Here are a few shots taken around the periphery of the vessel , which may be of interest to some ,

The Hull from underneath .

The tunnel from outside the hull which goes under the Thames to the far side that you can walk through , marked by the glass domes in the photo on both sides of the banks [ seen to the right of the one in the foreground , which have lifts either end in the bottom of these glass topped domes to the subterranean footpath to the far side which was opened in 1902 .
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Well Done Ivor - a BZ for those images.

I have enjoyed viewing them many thanks.
Little h
ivorthediver

Thanks Harry I'm so pleased you are mate , and so pleased you took the time to look at them .

There is much more to come which I hope is equally of interest to you and those of our era :)
ivorthediver

Re: The Painted Hall at Greenwich ....during restoration

Ok the next area we viewed , which was stunning to look at , and at which point I was invited to use the lift , having paid for an accompanied tour , which included a guide , head set and amplifier to allow us to hear his narrative.

I was told that on NO circumstances would flash be allowed or tolerated , so we proceeded into the painted hall , up the staircase for Karen and up in the lift for me ,,,to the raised floor 60ft overhead from which to view the undersurface of the ceiling artwork .

It started in 1707 till 1726 , and during this current restoration they restorers used deionised water and cotton buds to remove dust and grim from the baroque ceiling painted by Sir John Thornhill

We were told that the reproduction of the ceiling would be fair even from the complimentary souvenir we were given , of which I submit a scan of the central section only and is named as" The Triumph of Peace and Liberty over Tyranny"

I canot describe the clarity and colour of this when viewed just above head height .....breath taking .
ivorthediver

Beneath the raised viewing platform was the area referred to by Tim in the earlier post , but as I said at the post most was under protective coverings ........so some you win .....some you lose
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Greenwich Royal Naval College and Museum”