Coronavirus what next

Want some off topic chat? Pull up a bar stool and make yourself at home here
ivorthediver

Coronavirus what next

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well what ever your views on how its being managed by our PM and his ministers , this has certainly hit us all ....both military and public , and despite all that tonights announcements entail , the cash will have to be found from some where , lets hope it won't be the RN and its future commitments that bare the costs .

I am well aware of the general age of our members and the fact that most have an underlying health issue which places us in an even higher risk of infection of this ....so far .....untreatable infection......... in that no antivirus exists as of now

Most of you are ex servicemen that have had to confront and prosecute an enemy as and when it came your way .

I am certain that we are all acting responsibly and not hoarding food or adding to the problem , and to this end you have a trained mind responsive to threat .

In this respect we are all second footed as you have no visible or audible warning of your new enemy .......but being disciplined souls ........you all take advice from those who have the knowledge to deflect this virus

I sincerely hope that you all weather the storm, and those family members who [ like me] you are the pilot up this rip tide , reach the shore of your choosing , may your God be with you... and guide your steps
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
jbryce1437

Re: Coronavirus what next

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Many thanks Ivor. I think one of the main problems is with those d!ckheads who ignore the advice and put everyone else at risk through their own thoughtless actions. Similar with those hoarding and storing without a thought for the elderly and vulnerable.
Take care everyone and I wish you all good health.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
jbryce1437

Just found out that my wife's old workmate and supervisor passed away this morning due to the Coronavirus. She was only 70 and was taken ill last Friday and an ambulance was called but she was left at home with suspected pneumonia. Her condition deteriorated over the weekend and she was admitted to hospital on Monday and she was told that she had the virus on Wednesday and passed away this morning RIP.
Hope you are all keeping well and staying indoors, as we are.

Take care

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Sorry to hear that Jim , and please convey our sympathy to your dear lady who has enough to deal with .

Are issue is food as no one seems to have what we need and on the brief occasions we have been able to top up we are limited to a max of two of ANYTHING and after standing in a que around the periphery of the store for an hour run low on sugar and need to open and eat some of the shopping !

We have no one calling to help us or offer help and forget booking food to be delivered as no one is offering delivery slots .......so if we are luck y enough to avoid the virus we will only need to get fed :evil:
jbryce1437

ivorthediver wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:23 am Sorry to hear that Jim , and please convey our sympathy to your dear lady who has enough to deal with .

Are issue is food as no one seems to have what we need and on the brief occasions we have been able to top up we are limited to a max of two of ANYTHING and after standing in a que around the periphery of the store for an hour run low on sugar and need to open and eat some of the shopping !

We have no one calling to help us or offer help and forget booking food to be delivered as no one is offering delivery slots .......so if we are luck y enough to avoid the virus we will only need to get fed :evil:
Many thanks Ivor. I can understand your predicament with regard to shopping as I looked online for delivery slots and there were none for the foreseeable future, at least until 14th April. Fortunately, our two sons have been keeping us topped up with stuff and we are fortunate to have several large supermarkets within close proximity. I dread to think how people in remote areas are coping or how people in high rise blocks are managing to stay in isolation and the problems that they have getting in and out of their blocks and keeping sanitised, etc.
It appears that most of the stores have put in place a limit on how many are allowed in the store at any one time and have people posted to ensure safe distances are maintained. Looks like we are on the upward curve now in regard to numbers of people infected and resulting deaths. I keep looking at the data on this site and have seen an upward trend from aroung 250,000 last week to over 600,000 today. We were 10th in the totals last week and we have now moved up to 8th. Not sure about some of the data though, as there appears to be very few instances in other parts of China, apart from the initial areas around Hubei, which have been greatly affected, unless the Chinese are not publishing data for those areas, as is North Korea.
Take care everyone and stay isolated

Jim
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Doing our best Jim , but getting food Main issue , everything else we can cope with at present , and dear Karen is keeping a finger on the pulse... as you do bless her , sorry to disagree with you all , but I HAVE THE BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD :)
ivorthediver

Well being only a slip of a lad then [ well 11 actually ] , but Keith brought back a salient point in that the Asian Flu epidemic of 1957 claimed 33'000 uk lives in that year , so what will the 2020 uk death count be [currently 7167]....greater..... or hopefully less ....
jbryce1437

Well, a month in and I decided to let my wife cut my hair. Hope the lockdown is in place for a few weeks more to let my barnet recover ;-)

Jim
IMG_7989.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Stop bragging Jim , some of the members haven't got much and there you are cutting it off!......or was it to gain funding to reverse the decision to stop rum rationing ;)

You could always gain sponsorship for walking around the decks of HMS Belfast [ if you do........ knock on the wardroom door and see if Tims alright please .] or...... take up knitting .....the lists endless..... providing you can get materials of course :roll:
jbryce1437

Thanks Ivor, rum has never been a problem in this abode and I am amply stocked after my recent birthday :-)
I think the Wardroom has a secret shaft to the spirit store so best not to disturb Tim.

Jim
Retired since 2002
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Wardroom”