Best collection of flying history

Want some off topic chat? Pull up a bar stool and make yourself at home here
timlewin

Best collection of flying history

Unread post by timlewin »

Dear All, here is a "flyer" from HAC to mark the first public flight of their restored DH9, I saw this when it first arrived at their workshops, its impossible to reconcile what I saw with this like-new century old aircraft, the first strategic bomber ever made. The Spitfire in this collection is the one we hired to perform at the 2016 Victory Day events at Loch Ewe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbryce1437

Re: Best collection of flying history

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Thanks Tim, it makes you wonder how they got off the ground

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
timlewin

Re: Best collection of flying history

Unread post by timlewin »

Its quite a large aircraft, I saw it when it first came back from India. They found its complete but termite devoured remains in the royal elephant stables of a maharajah's vast palace there. The motors (there were actually the remains of 2 DH9s) had been removed and used to pump water round the palace. It was just a kit of crumbling parts from which new patters could be made. The result is an absolutely new and authentic DH9 with real motor that flies exactly as it did a century ago, it is a magnificent achievement. I hope some of the forum members living near to Duxford might go there to see.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Wardroom”