Items of Interest to all Sections of the Branch

Post anything relating to Communications on this thread
Pelican

Re: Items of Interest to all Sections of the Branch

Unread post by Pelican »

"I remember a ditty in a book called "Make a Signal" by Commander Jackie Broome. It was a long time ago so I might not have all the facts correct but the gist is OK.

In a Northern Shore Establishment the Jack Dusty Wrens had been making themselves trousers from pussers blue serge. Consequently there was a shortage of material for the men. Commander S originated a signal. it read :-

Wrens clothing will be held up until the needs of the Navy has been satisfied."
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Almost correct David . For"held up" read upheld . For "Navy" read Fleet .

That book contains many great signals . Many hilarious .

QRU .. .. ZKJ2
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

DaveH wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:21 pm Almost correct David . For"held up" read upheld . For "Navy" read Fleet .

That book contains many great signals . Many hilarious .

QRU .. .. ZKJ2
Thanks Dave, mine was one passed on to me by someone else, I've now received this:
Page 199 "In Winter, 1940, when Wrens were buying up all available serge to make trousers, a C-in-C made the following signal:
"WRENS CLOTHING IS TO BE HELD UP UNTIL THE NEEDS OF SEAGOING PERSONNEL HAVE BEEN SATISFIED."
ZUG but see photo of some real old Chief Sparkers.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

We are both corrected David ..... put it down to an "elder moment" :)
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

HMS Forest Moor (RN W/T Station), Harrogate District, North Yorkshire, England

It's the Bell - (but not as we know It)

From Navy News
Screenshot (4794) - Copy.png

I never knew that a) it was Staybrite/Stainless Steel or b) that it was spun and stretched :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

News to me to Harry :o
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

I religeously entered HMS Forest Moor as my first preference on every preference draft chit that I filled in, followed by Rosyth, but I was only ever drafted to Devonport or Chatham based ships. Ironically, the latter two day running out of Portland. Come to think of it, if I had been drafted to Forest Moor, I would have been stuck in the middle of nowhere as I couldn't drive then. Passed it a couple of times since and might do so again, a week come Saturday, when I travel over to Bolton for the next match ;-)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Note; the former HMS Forest Moor now The Defence High Frequency Communications Service (DHFCS) on an adjacent site.

-----------------------------------------------

From wiki:-
HMS Forest Moor was a Royal Navy land base located in Nidderdale in the borough of Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England.[2]
History

The establishment was first used as one of the Second World War intelligence units, or Y-stations.[2]

In 1960 it became the Royal Navy's major high frequency (HF) receiver station,[2] its primary function was to route HF signals from locations abroad to military bases and command centres in the UK.[3] The base was manned by a small group of Royal Naval radio operators and electricians (approximately six to a shift).

This centre provided HF comms receiver links to bases in the Indian Ocean, Mediterranean, Canada and a RATT ship/shore receiver link to warships at sea. Transmitters were located at HMS Inskip in Lancashire.

It also had a small ships company (including an RPO, a PO Caterer and chefs) for the day-to-day running of the establishment, including three civilian drivers. This station was a popular 'draft' for many of the sailors who served there being out of the gaze of 'Big navy' because of the remote location, Harrogate being a popular 'run ashore' destination.

HMS Forest Moor was also the setting of a short-lived YTV comedy Thundercloud' starring James Cosmo as the MAA.

In 2003 it was transferred to VT Communications (now Babcock International) under a PPP contract to provide HF communications to the Ministry of Defence via the Defence Communication Services Agency. It is now operated by civilian personnel, from a 190-acre (78 ha)[4] site on Meagill Lane adjacent to the old Forest Moor site.[5]

It has been disposed of by Defence Estates to North Yorkshire County Council for £47 million.[6] The site has been converted to a school for children with behavioural, emotional and social difficulties.[7][8]

From wikimapia:-

Defence High Frequency Communications Service
formerly HMS Forest Moor

The Defence High Frequency Communications Service (DHFCS) provides long distance strategic communication between Army units, RAF aircraft, Royal Navy warships and UK headquarters using HF communications. Awarded as a £220 million 15-year Private/Public Partnership to prime contractor to VT Communications in 2003, it has now been taken over by Babock Defence Communications

Operates the following legacy systems: Strike Command Integrated Communications System (STCICS), now known as Terrestrial Air Sea Communications (TASCOMM)maritime data services (broadcasts and ship/shore/ship communications)NATO HF services provided by the RAF and Defence Communications Service Agency (DCSA).The system is based on six sites in the UK and four overseas. In the UK in addition to this site they are Crimond, Inskip, Kinloss, Penhale Sands and St Eval.

Again from Wiki this excerpt:-

Royal Air Force Menwith Hill is a Royal Air Force station near Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England, which provides communications and intelligence support services to the United Kingdom and the United States. The site contains an extensive satellite ground station and is a communications intercept and missile warning site.[1] It has been described as the largest electronic monitoring station in the world.[2]

RAF Menwith Hill is owned by the Ministry of Defence (MoD), but made available to the US Department of Defense (DoD) under the NATO Status of Forces Agreement 1951 and other, undisclosed agreements between the US and British governments. Her Majesty's Government (HMG) is entitled to possession of the site and retains control over its use and its facilities, though the administration of the base is the responsibility of the US authorities,[1] with support provided by around 400 staff from Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ), in addition to United States Air Force (USAF) and US National Security Agency (NSA) personnel.[3] In 2014, the number of American personnel was reduced as part of a streamlining of operations due to improvements in technology.[4]

The site acts as a ground station for a number of satellites operated by the US National Reconnaissance Office,[5] on behalf of the NSA, with antennae contained in a large number of highly distinctive white radomes, locally referred to as "the golf balls", and is alleged to be an element of the ECHELON system.[6]

From ForcesNetwork
RAF Menwith Hill randomes with buildings in foreground 040907 CREDIT PA.jpg

MOD Applies For Extra Radar Shelters At RAF Station

RAF Menwith Hill provides communications and intelligence support services to the UK and the United States.
9th July 2019 at 3:55pm

The Ministry of Defence (MOD) wants to create extra structures to protect radar equipment at RAF Menwith Hill.

The Royal Air Force site in North Yorkshire provides communications and intelligence support services to the UK and the United States.

It currently has a number of golf ball-like structures to protect equipment, known as 'radomes'.

The MOD's planning application proposes building three additional radomes, measuring 21 metres in diameter.

If the application is approved it will increase the number of shelters at the base to 37, including more radome set to be built in August 2021.

Permission to build a new "support building" has also been requested as part of the application.

The application submitted to Harrogate Borough Council by the MOD states the new shelters are "required to meet the operational output of the station".

The North Yorkshire base has been the site of protesters who oppose the nature of the station's role.

-----------------------------------------

............. and so Jim it is very likely you will see more evidence of Menwith Hill than DHFCS!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Thanks Harrh, I will look out for the golf course if we take that route, but I think my son will prefer the faster route over th M62.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

interesting post , thank you Harry , we tend to overlook the shore base side of the Navy :(
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Communications”