The Second Battle of the Falklands

Honour our War Dead here and post your photos of your local Remembrance Day events
Pelican

The Second Battle of the Falklands

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS SCOTT HONOURS HMS ANTELOPE IN FALKLANDS
14 January 2020
On A grey midsummer day in the Southern Hemisphere, the crew of HMS Scott pause for reflection over one of the Navy’s most hallowed sites.

Ten metres below this spot, sitting upright, almost snapped in two, is the shattered hull of frigate HMS Antelope, torn apart by a series of explosions after bomb disposal experts triggered an unexploded device, in turn detonating the ship’s magazine.
The horrific sight which the blast left – a once-proud shipped snapped midships with thick black plumes of smoke rising above San Carlos Water – provided one of the iconic images of the Falklands conflict.
Nearly 40 years later, the 13,000-tonne survey vessel sailed into the now-silent waters of San Carlos to pay her respects as she conducted a two-week patrol of the islands.

Continues with images at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... OpXQUVplZk
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: The Second Battle of the Falklands

Unread post by Pelican »

Every British Death in The Falklands War 1982

"The official roll of honour for the war for The Falklands Isles in 1982 where 255 British Army, Navy and Royal Air Force members lost their lives. Also included are the members of the Merchant Navy. (Note I haven't included the 3 civilians that were killed, not out of disrespect). I hope that any members of family, friends or ex-service men or women that might have known some of these men mind that I have made this video. It is made with the utmost respect and honour to the men and women that lost their lives during this conflict. I hope that everyone involved in this war understands. I am also an ex-serving member of The British Army and have nothing but respect and pure patriotic love for anyone who has served for my country. I hope for no undesirable comments on this video, any such comments will be removed and reprimanded and dealt with in whatever means necessary. Finally, this video will not be monetised as I do not wish to profit financially from it. Thank you and I hope that you are as moved by this video as I was whilst making it."

See - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy3wCY-1DVs
The R.N. names begin at around 16.35 mins in.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

FALKLAND ISLANDS

It's been noticed that Marks and Spencer's are selling a series of world globes on-line and , I suspect, in store.
The large and medium World globes name the Falkland Islands as 'Is Malvinas' with 'Falkland Is' in brackets. The small, ornamental world globe name the Falkland Is but with the name 'Is Malvinas' in brackets.

In the 1982 Falkland Is conflict, Britain defended the Falkland Islands successfully and to call the Islands the 'Is Malvinas' must be considered an insult to the 255 service personnel who died.

I have contacted Marks and Spencer's and asked them to discontinue this line. I implore you to do the same.

Yours aye

Don Wallington
Warrant Officer (RS) (Rtd).
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

FALKLANDS UPDATE

Possibly the message has got thru:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... m9molLWWNw
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Tragedy at Bluff Cove – anniversary of the bombing of RFA Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram

There was no greater British loss of life throughout the Falklands conflict than the attack on RFA support ships Sir Galahad and Tristram, bombed on this day in 1982 by Argentine jets.
The struggle to liberate the islands was entering its closing stages with British forces closing in on the capital Stanley.

To support that final assault, the two RFAs were due to deliver troops to Bluff Cove – not 15 miles from Stanley.

The ships dropped anchor five miles short of their destination and began to offload instead at Fitzroy Sound.

Aboard Sir Galahad, the Welsh Guards refused to leave. They’d been rather messed around in the campaign to date. They had been told they would be delivered to Bluff Cove – five miles from Fitzroy – and delivered to Bluff Cove they would be, despite the protestations of Royal Marines.
Continues at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... qbPvqHcokE

On this day in 1982 RFAs Sir Galahad and Tristram were bombed while ferrying troops at Bluff Cove - the largest single loss of British life in the Falklands.
Former Sea King pilot John Boughton, then a Lieutenant serving with 825 Naval Air Squadron, shared his memories of the subsequent rescue in this moving film produced by the photographic team at Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton.
Video at - https://www.facebook.com/royalnavy/vide ... 5705292383
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Sailors maintain warships' memorial in time for Falklands 40th anniversary

Falklands-based sailors tidied up the monument to crews of Type 21 frigates ahead of next year’s 40th anniversary of the conflict.
A team of seven personnel who support UK operations in the South Atlantic climbed Campito Hill which dominates nearby San Carlos Water – scene of several days of bitter battle between the liberating fleet and Argentine aircraft in May 1982.

The summit of the now-calm waters is crowned by the Type 21 Memorial, honouring frigate crews whose ships formed a ring of steel around the amphibious forces landing men and material at San Carlos.

HMS Ardent was bombed repeatedly on the first day of the landings and eventually sank, while the demise of HMS Antelope – torn apart when attempts to de-fuse an unexploded bomb detonated it – provided some of the most haunting, iconic imagery of the war.

Those killed are commemorated in a memorial typical of those which pepper the Falklands: a rocky cairn crowned with a cross, plus a plaque honouring the fallen.

“After seeing the iconic pictures of HMS Antelope, I was proud to go and remember those who were lost during the conflict and I felt it was important to see the area and feel the history,” said Leading Writer James Yates.

Continues, including photos at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... nniversary
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Memorial events to mark Falklands 40th anniversary take shape

Veterans of the Falklands campaign have until the end of April to register their interest in one of this year’s key 40th anniversary events.
Four decades to the day that the fighting in the South Atlantic came to an end, the National Memorial Arboretum near Lichfield will be the setting for a ‘liberation day’ commemorative event, organised by the Royal British Legion on June 14.

It is inviting veterans, civilians, and bereaved family members to join them to remember the sacrifices made and the freedom re-gained by the inhabitants of the remote island community.

Those who wish to attend should either contact their respective regimental or service association to register interest, contact the Legion directly at falklands@britishlegion.org.uk.

Distance, cost, the few flights to the islands – and extremely limited space on them – plus Covid quarantine rules all make a return to the Falklands for veterans difficult this year, although the MOD is striving to make as many ‘veterans’ pilgrimages’ take place as possible.

For those unable to return to the islands, in the UK there are numerous anniversary events – national, regional, local and unit focused – running from early April through to the end of June.

Aside from the liberation day event in the arboretum, the other national commemoration is the 40th Anniversary Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul’s Cathedral (home of the national Falklands monument) on April 5 (invitation only; invitations now closed).

The service is being organised by the South Atlantic Medal Association 82 – the umbrella organisation for Falklands veterans.

It’s holding its annual general meeting in Derby from April 1-4, including a service at the National Memorial Arboretum on April 3.

The Royal Naval Association is combining its annual general meeting weekend and parade with commemorations in Portsmouth (June 17-19).

Friday 17th is dedicated to the theme of ‘reunite with an evening reception on HMS Warrior, a civic dinner hosted by Portsmouth City Council and a chance for RNA Special Interest Groups, including golfers, cricketers and classic car enthusiasts, to get together.

The RNA’s AGM will be held on Saturday morning, and the theme for the rest of the day is ‘re-live’, which will include a Falklands Forum at HMS Nelson Wardroom, featuring a panel of South Atlantic veterans.

Sunday June 19 is dedicated to remembrance, including a service of at the Falklands Memorial near the Square Tower in Old Portsmouth.

An application form for ticketed events, can be found on the RNA website at royal-naval-association.co.uk/members/downloads/2022/

The sacrifices of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary will be remembered with two major events. On June 8, 40 years to the day of the tragedy at Bluff Cove – when RFA Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram were bombed and 56 men killed – a memorial service/wreath laying takes place at Marchwood Church in Hampshire. Sir Galahad’s CO that day, Captain Phil Roberts, is due to attend.

And on August 3, the National Memorial Arboretum is once again the setting, this time for a service at the RFA Memorial for RFA Association members.

Continues, including photos, at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... nTd85W5s5g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Salute to the men of Glamorgan at remote Falklands memorial

Sailors and military personnel in the Falklands saluted the last Royal Navy ship damaged in the 1982 conflict.
A small group from HMS Forth – the patrol ship which serves as the islands’ constant guardian – and Mount Pleasant gathered at Hookers Point outside the capital Stanley and the imposing monument of Welsh granite erected to HMS Glamorgan.

It was near this remote site that Argentine forces fired two Exocet missiles at Glamorgan on June 12 1982. One hit, killing 13 men that day while a 14th succumbed to his injuries two months later. She was the last of around 20 British vessels damaged or sunk in the conflict. Two days later, Argentine forces surrendered.

Laying a wreath on behalf of HMS Forth was 21-year-old Able Seaman Harvey Lewis, whose grandfather Phillip Bowers survived the attack.

During a 30-year career ending as a chief petty officer, Mr Bowers spent three years as a steward aboard Glamorgan. He lost five close shipmates who worked in the destroyer’s galley.

Glamorgan had been pounding Argentine defences outside Stanley on Two Sisters hill using her main 4.5in guns, supporting a successful attack by the Royal Marines of 45 Commando.

Bringing her guns in range of the defences also brought her in range of an Exocet launcher rigged by Argentine sailors, who struck as the destroyer completed her bombardment mission.

Skilful evasive manoeuvres by Glamorgan’s team helped to minimise the impact of the missile, but it still caused devastation aft as it struck the hangar, destroying the fully-fuelled and armed Wessex helicopter.

Continues at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... J2BnWGwvhs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

THE TASK FORCE AT ASCENSION ISLAND

[Regret no other details available.]
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Falklands hero who lost an arm trying to defuse an Argentine bomb, but still feels a right plonker for calling the Queen 'sir' as she pinned a medal on his chest, by LORD ASHCROFT

Military historian Lord Ashcroft has followed up his latest book about bravery, Falklands War Heroes, by writing about those whose valour has largely gone unsung.

In yesterday's Daily Mail, he saluted the remarkable efforts of the Falklanders themselves to repel the Argentinians. Here, he tells of the courage of key British servicemen.

Every time John Phillips looks in the mirror he is reminded of the Falklands War 40 years ago. That's because the left sleeves of his shirt and jumper are always neatly tucked away out of sight.

Continues at - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... n-sir.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Remembrance Thread”